C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 10:13 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild?

I'm getting ready to take my engine in to be rebuilt, and the ol' carb needs to be reworked. I'm a little scared of the costs to ship it over to the states. Anyone from Canada do that, and what did it cost? I'm not concerned about shipping it back, because I can get it sent to Detroit, but don't want my friend to be responsible for shipping it out. This is all depending upon Lars even being able to have time to do my rebuild.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:31 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild? (dukvet76)

All I can tell you is he does great work. :yesnod:

[Modified by 71,454,4spd, 9:32 PM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 11:03 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild? (71,454,4spd)

Send it by regular mail if you use UPS or any of those guys you pay taxes GST, PST and brokerage fees ( on the way back ) amounting to just shy the cost of a new carb. Do't ask me how i know :mad

OK I didn't see that you are going to pick it up in Detroit, but it probably works the same way going down there, if you use UPS you have to put a value on it and whoever recieves it has to pay tax on that and then the brokerage fees.

[Modified by MotorHead, 10:08 PM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-09-2003, 12:35 AM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild? (MotorHead)

I really hope you can economically get it to Lars.........He did mine, and it ROCKS! Suggest you also purchase his recurve kit. That was the best 45 bucks I have EVER spent on my Vette.......... :D :D :D
Old 01-09-2003, 09:29 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

duk -
I've done about a half-dozen Q-Jet rebuilds for Canadian Forum Members, and the Loaner Carbs have also been sent back and forth across the border a few times. Just box it up and send it via regular ground parcel post mail (not UPS). This will take a little over a week to get to me (if you're in a hurry, send it airmail, but that gets a little pricey). I had one package take 2 weeks once. Shipping costs for ground will run you under $20 USD. Package and pad the carb REALLY well, since the ground shipping will give the box some severe abuse. Mark the customs tag as a "gift" or a "sample," with a value of about $15-or-so. This will get it through customs with no fees or charges. I'll do the same when I return it to you, so it will get to you with no customs fees. This has worked very well on everything I've done for Canadian, Mexican, Brazilian, English, German and Swedish members so far. Let me know if you need further info.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lars rebuilt a carb for me. I bought the correct carb on ebay and had the guy mail it directly to Lars. Lars rebuilt it and forwarded on to me. The carb looked like new, I installed it and it purrs like a kitten. I highly recommend him.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:44 PM
PyjamaSam
Pro

Location: At the end of 2 big long black marks on #2 Sideroad and Walkers Line.
Default Re: Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild? (lars)

Are you doing Carb rebuilds again? I remember you had said you had stoped. I would really like to get my poor qjet fixed up. I tried going through the papers, but I just don't have skill yet :-)

chris.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:20 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild? (PyjamaSam)

Rob, they aren't really that hard to rebuild yourself if you have the time and know how. Lars, tuning paper is very informative and helps tune it after a rebuild.

The actual tear down and reassembly of the carb is extremely easy. If you want it cleaned to just take it to the local machine shop and have them tank it.

I'm not trying to discourage you from sending to Lars, I'm just saying that it is possible to do it yourself if you want.

I tore mine apart before I knew anything about carbs( I was running a Holley during that time) and could never get it running right again. After reading through Lars paper I decided to give it a try again... It was working great the last time the engine ran.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild?

Quick Reply: Any Canadians Use Lars for a Q-Jet rebuild?