C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front springs??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 08:37 PM
1979LS-6corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front springs??

Helo,
Have any c3 oweners ever had to take off the front springs? what would be the most easy way to get them off with out having them fly out at you?? I have to take off the control arms arm to put on all new polly buchings and new springs. we took one off are it was one hell of a job and i would like to know the most easy way to get them off. I am working on a 79 i would guess they all would be close to the same Thanks :steering:

[Modified by 1979LS-6corvette, 1:39 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 09:11 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front springs?? (1979LS-6corvette)

If your springs are so long that they tend to fly out, the simplest way to remove is to get a spring compressor (sometimes loaned by autoparts stores), compress the spring before you loosen any suspension bolts, then jack up the lower A-arm, loosen the lower ball joint, slowly lower the lower A-arm with the jack and the compressed spring can be easily & safely removed.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Front springs?? (75 Hot One)

:iagree:
Old 01-09-2003, 07:20 PM
1979LS-6corvette
Intermediate

Default Re: Front springs?? (Corzvette69)

Yes thats what i did but it wasnt fuch fun... :iagree:
Old 01-09-2003, 11:32 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Front springs?? (75 Hot One)

If your springs are so long that they tend to fly out, the simplest way to remove is to get a spring compressor (sometimes loaned by autoparts stores), compress the spring before you loosen any suspension bolts, then jack up the lower A-arm, loosen the lower ball joint, slowly lower the lower A-arm with the jack and the compressed spring can be easily & safely removed.
That will work, but sometimes those ball joints are an absolute bee-atch to get loose. Another way to do it is to unbolt the lower control arm from the frame - 3 bolts. Just make sure you use a spring compressor if you're doing this - the way I had to orient my body under there, there is no way I'd trust a jack to hold while I'm unbolting.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:30 AM
LBL C6
Racer

Default Re: Front springs?? (lyonsh)

Had this done about two months ago. Best way I found. I took it to the local fix it shop. :auto: For new springs and installation. Cost was $140. :hurray: I ain't rich :nopity but I know me and it would have cost me more in frustration. :banghead: Terry :seeya
Old 01-11-2003, 12:32 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Front springs?? (1979LS-6corvette)

Done it several times and got it down to where I can do it in a couple hours (swap springs, not all the bushings).

Some pics and info on my website.

Don't do it like I do. I don't use a spring compressor or chain on the spring. I recommend that you do though. I put a hydraulic jack under the lower control arm after removing the wheel, tieing off the caliper to the side, sway bar mounts, tie-rod ends, and loosening the upper ball joint nut (but not removing it).

Then get a pickle fork in there. In my case it was actually easier to jack the control arm up almost level. This allowed more room for the pickle fork to go in deeper and above the frame). A couple whacks with a 5lb hammer and the ball joint pops.

Then I have the handle to the jack under and out the front of the car. With the jack holding pressure on the lower control arm, I remove the nut on teh upper ball joint, then move around the front of the car and "very" slowly let the jack down. Once the tension is off the spring pops right out.

You can then unbolt the lower control arms easily and put new bushings in. The upper control arm's a little trickier depending on what year and accessories. Getting at the nuts and shims on the inside (make sure you keep track of how many shims and which side). Sometimes if it's a tight fit to get the upper control arm out I will whack the bolts out from the inside (they are knurled and will take a few good hits - and then better to replace afterwards, their cheap).

Many have done it. It's not so bad. Might as well do the ball joints, wheel bearings, and brake lines and/or pads if they haven't been done before. Check for caliper leaks also while you are in there. A little degreaser and some paint wiill make you feel better also. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Front springs??

Quick Reply: Front springs??