C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Suspension Tools...........

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 10:28 AM
DaBo
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Suspension Tools...........

Anybody used them or purchased them recently????? Who make the best ones at the best price??? I am looking at buying a spindle removal press, bearing puller, setup tool, etc.

Suggestions?????????..................

Thank you,
Old 01-08-2003, 03:15 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Default Re: Rear Suspension Tools........... (DaBo)

I found the one of the best tools is the 20 ton press I got from Harbor freight. cost is about $200 and I used it for rebuilding the rear bearings, differential, steering box,etc. You have to be carefulk using that spindle press if your parts are rust seized,you could break the caliper mount.
The shock knocker, spindle knocker and outer bearing puller are good to have in addition. I used the spindle knocker to protect the threads while pressing apart the assembly.Also you'll need the setup tool or undersized old spindle to get the bearing end play correct without installing /removing the new bearings a couple of times.
The tools are in just about everyones catalog so shop around. If you're only going to do one car then you may better off sending them out.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 01-08-2003, 04:36 PM
johns73
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hello i did mine last spring and bought the setup tool from a supporting vendor and had a bad time with it until i found out one of the washers was interfering with the tool after i figured that out all went very well, also bought the spindle knocker and it worked well. I would be willing to let you use my tools send me an IM there expensive to use just once. John :cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 10:25 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got mine from International Axle & Manufacturing Co. in Maple Grove MN (612-425-5515). They had a stall at Bloomington a few years ago. Very good quality, worked well, fair price. And they have instructions as well. They also sell forged rear spindles. The rear spindle press is not recommended because of the risk of breaking an ear it attaches to. A spindle removal tool is available to hammer out the spindle. It's similat to the shock mount removal tool.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:00 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Rear Suspension Tools........... (75 Hot One)

the shock mount removal tool can be made with a nut and a bolt the same size and thread of the shock mount, see my tip in tech tips. i removed my spindles with a rented 9" gear puller, and then used some different sized chisels to tap the outer bearing off the spindle, and i mean tap, kinda like walking the bearing up the spindle, tap in a circle and work your way around the bearing. this takes about a 1/2 hr per side. i did not have the bearing set up tool and if i did this again i would borrow or purchase one, this lets you set the bearings without taking them on and off, this is a real time and energy saver. good luck and take your time.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:08 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Once your spindles are out have someone chuck them in a lathe and with emery paper polish the end where the inner bearing slides on until it is just a light slid fit. There is no need for the tight fit that comes stock. Tom's even advertises this slide fit. I take my spindles out every winter for routine checking and both my bearings are only finger tight slide fit. Sure makes taking apart in future easy. The 1/2 flange retaining bolt is torqued to 100 foot pounds. This prevents the bearing from spinning in the housing.
I also add a grease fitting to the housing for future greasing but be careful not to overgrease and blow the seals.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Suspension Tools...........

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Tools...........