C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my letter to Lars and where my motor stands now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 06:57 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my letter to Lars and where my motor stands now...

hi again Lars...i thought you might like to know that after checking everything out, we found that the problem was not the carb...
it is just fine :)
i dont know if you have read any of my threads but i got burned on a set of heads from my local machine shop...they had been shaved WAY TOO MUCH...we dont really know how far but you could plainly see with the naked eye that they had been shaved AT LEAST a spark plug gap...probably
around .050" !
and to add insult to injury, one side was visably shaved more than the other side!
as you probably already know...what we found upon closer inspection was that where the head meets the intake manifold, the "seam" was not parralel...it was "wedge shaped"...sealing on the top but not the bottom...so from the top it looked fine and did not leak but from the bottom (inside the oil galley) it did not seal...allowing oil to blow into the intake runners and right into the combustion chambers...!
of course this made carb adjustment impossible...
i purchaced a brand new set of World heads and put the carb back to your settings and it runs awesome!
this is why i wasnt anxious to send the carb back to you...i (we) had a feeling that it was something else and as it turns out...it was :)
i want to thank you for helping me and for the great job you did rebuilding my Q-Jet...
also while i had it torn down to change the heads i got rid of the clutch fan and shroud and added an electric fan...im probably around 350 HP now which is even more than i was origanly was shooting for...
i am a happy camper now!
thanx again Lars...as usual, you did a great job! Gary (the sign guy)
Old 01-08-2003, 08:30 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: my letter to Lars and where my motor stands now... (SIGNGUY)

Glad tp see it turned out fine, did you talk to the shop that ripped you off ?
Old 01-08-2003, 10:58 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Gary -
Glad to hear you finally figured things out and got the car running well, but I'm certianly sorry to hear of all the trouble and anguish you had to go through to get things right - that takes a bit of the edge off the fun...! Good to hear that the carb is running as well for you as it did for me, but, as always, feel free to contact me if you ever have any trouble with anything I've built. Hope you have tons of fun with the car - sounds like it ought to be a kick to drive!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:59 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: my letter to Lars and where my motor stands now... (lars)

thanx man...i sure apreciate the way you handle your business/hobby...
i wouldnt hesitate to deal with you again Lars...your a good man :)
happy hot roddin'!

as for the machine shop...well...
heres the deal...i live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere...
the biggest privately owned auto parts store here is Wherrell Auto Parts and they are very reputable...owned and operated by Mr Wherrell...a very fair man that has done well and is not hurting finacialy if you know what i mean...

they also own a machine shop and it is run by his son...a kid born with a silver spoon in his mouth and dosnt know what it is like to go without or to an honest days work etc...basicly a spoiled brat...
hes the one that burned me...
2 full days ago he told me that he would measure the heads and either call me or come see me that day and that he would "do the right thing"...
well...i havent heard a word from him since...

basicly where i stand now is i have a kick as s motor and i have no intention of calling him or going to see him...ever...
he has his heads, my heads and my money...

he will do whatever he wants and the way i figure it, if he never calls me at all he is just proving what he is...
my plan is to chauk it up to a lesson learned and that makes me a better man than he...
i am big on principle and that is far more important to me than those old heads OR my $250...
besides...this being a small town, word of mouth means alot in business and believe me, i tell anybody who will listen what kind of deal i got at Wherrell machine shop :)
and besides...i do work occationaly for "old man Wherrell" and someday he will hear about my dealings with his son and im sure that he will not be happy...

but most important of all is i have a jam up engine in my vette right now and im just going to enjoy that and look forward...not back :)
Old 01-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Gary. I just have to add my $0.02 here. As part of a very small group (the Colorado Corvette Crazies or CCC; "The Ultimate Corvette Tuning and Beer Drinking Fraternity" ) that hangs with Lars here in cold and dry Colorado, we have been following this issue very closely. Having twisted wrenches and consumed barrels of quality brew with the Viking Wizard for some time now, NONE of us EVER doubted that your carb wasn't set up right from the get-go. I even tooled around with him when he field tested it on one of his GTOs with the top down in 35¡ weather!! :eek: :D

Glad it all worked out. :seeya :cheers:

PS: Do you REALLY jump out of one of those baskets with that little backpack on???? Man, that would ruin MY heads too..... :smash:

Jeff
Ô66. Modified L72
ÒThe Silver BeastÓ
Keep on :cheers: :seeya :steering:

[Modified by Blkblt, 1:26 PM 1/10/2003]
Old 01-10-2003, 06:20 PM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: my letter to Lars and where my motor stands now... (Blkblt)

Hey, Gary. I just have to add my $0.02 here. As part of a very small group (the Colorado Corvette Crazies or CCC; "The Ultimate Corvette Tuning and Beer Drinking Fraternity" ) that hangs with Lars here in cold and dry Colorado, we have been following this issue very closely. Having twisted wrenches and consumed barrels of quality brew with the Viking Wizard for some time now, NONE of us EVER doubted that your carb wasn't set up right from the get-go. I even tooled around with him when he field tested it on one of his GTOs with the top down in 35¡ weather!! :eek: :D

Glad it all worked out. :seeya :cheers:

PS: Do you REALLY jump out of one of those baskets with that little backpack on???? Man, that would ruin MY heads too..... :smash:

Jeff
Ô66. Modified L72
ÒThe Silver BeastÓ
Keep on :cheers: :seeya :steering:

[Modified by Blkblt, 1:26 PM 1/10/2003]
actually i never doughted it either...what i doubted was the US Mail!! :lol: :lol:
i thought they beat it to death!

Get notified of new replies

To my letter to Lars and where my motor stands now...

Quick Reply: my letter to Lars and where my motor stands now...