C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering a c3?

Old 01-08-2003, 05:31 AM
Vetter1980v
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering a c3?

It seems that my 73 sits too high in the front. If I wish to achieve the muscle car look (front lower than the back) how do I go about doing this? Can I just simply cut the springs?

Old 01-08-2003, 07:25 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: lowering a c3? (Vetter1980v)

See the archived article by John Greenwood on suspensions in the Vette Improvement Program. Use long bolts from Vette Brakes in back.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:09 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: lowering a c3? (Vetter1980v)

You can cut the springs or you can get shorter springs from places like Vette Brakes and Products or some of the other suppliers. Typical aftermarket performance springs are thicker but have fewer turns and most lower the front by 1 to 1 1/2 inches. It's also possible that your rear is sitting too high giving you the 4x4 look. You can adjust the height of the rear (within reason) by installing longer bolts from VB&P. These bolts are used on their fiberglass springs to adjust ride height. Between the two you should be able to get the stance you're looking for without any cutting. If you do decide to cut, cut only 1/4 turn of the spring at a time. Each cut should be followed by reassembing everything and judging how far the body has dropped. Be aware also that by cuting the springs you increase their effective rate meaning they become stiffer with each cut. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To lowering a c3?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lowering a c3?