C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Know anything about sandblasters????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 03:42 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Know anything about sandblasters????

Just wondering if this sandblaster would work well removing rust and grim from the suspention parts, and eventually the frame of my 80.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00916708000

Or can anyone recommend a good sandblaster under $150. That is about the max I want to spend. The blaster wouldn't be only used for the vette, I am sure I will find other uses.

Thanks it advance!

David :cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 07:10 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Know anything about sandblasters???? (88'Cubka)

It looks like a glorified syphon blaster to me. Also, the recommendation for a 1 HP compressor is a laugh. You need LOTS of CFM at 70-90 PSI to run a blaster, whether sand or glass bead. I personally think you would be better off with a real pressure blaster. I have a syphon sand blaster and have to say it would be a real PIA to do an entire frame with it. Chuck
Old 01-08-2003, 08:19 AM
KBlanke
Drifting

I have one just like it, it works OK for small parts but that is about it. I started on my frame with it but it didn't take to figure out that this was not the way to go. I ended up carrying it to a professional blaster who charged $100 (well worth it). I have been using it on all of my small parts.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:43 PM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Know anything about sandblasters???? (Chuck Gongloff)

well, i saw a 200lbs preasure blaster for 160ish....maybe that would be a better way to go?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pressure blaster is the only way to go. The suction blaster is nothing more than a glass bead machine without the cabinet, and not a very good one at that. Like Chuck said, you're gonna need some serious CFM to do a decent job with a pressure blaster. The stuff the Home Depot/Lowes/Sears calls 5, 6, 7 HP etc, is a joke. The CFM ratings at 90 PSI are frequently less than half of what a real industrial compressor puts out at 125 or higher.

You might also consider getting all your stuff together and renting a big blaster from a local construction rental center. The best deal by far is getting somebody to do it for you, especially if it's in the range of the $100. somebody above paid. It's a dirty, monotanous job, and the silica in the sand is absolute hell on your lungs, so PROPER respirator is a must.

The frame will also need to be cleaned to remove the silica residue and metal prepped prior to painting. I've used old style self etching primers in the past with less than ideal results, so for now I'm back to the metal prep until I have more experience with the newer stuff without it.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:12 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: Know anything about sandblasters???? (Solidlifters)

I have a pressure blaster too ,it the way to go for big stuff but it makes a mess.A blast cabinet is the only way to go for small suspension parts. :yesnod:Got to harbor freight for a cheap pressure blaster ,thats where I bought mine :thumbs:

[Modified by paintdaddy, 2:14 AM 1/9/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Know anything about sandblasters????

Quick Reply: Know anything about sandblasters????