C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brown grease on alternator connector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 10:50 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brown grease on alternator connector?

My voltage was low when I started the car tonite. So I began troubleshooting. I found a broken wire on the voltage regulator connector at the alternator. I also found some brown grease in the area of the connector. It doesn't smell burnt or anything, but I was wondering where it came from.

Also, can anyone tell me how to figure out if my alternator is original or not? I don't care too much about numbers matching -- I just want to know how old the beastie is! :yesnod:
Old 01-07-2003, 10:55 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brown grease on alternator connector? (page62)

The broken wire might have something to do with your voltage issue. The technical term for the offending brown grease is "gunk". I have the same stuff on almost every connector under the hood (water temp sensor, oil pressure sender, etc.).

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 01-08-2003, 06:52 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Brown grease on alternator connector? (74FLCONV)

it could be dielectric grease that someone put on and it has turned brown after sucking up dirt, or sometimes AC compressors like to sling their oil around the front part of the engine, although most of this winds up on the bottom side of the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To Brown grease on alternator connector?

Quick Reply: Brown grease on alternator connector?