C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best De-greaser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 09:56 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best De-greaser?

I do not have access to a parts cleaner, but have the need to degrease certain individual parts as I remove/repaint/replace them.

Would be interested in hearing your experiences with degreasers (good or bad).

Thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Old 01-07-2003, 10:05 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Best De-greaser? (74FLCONV)

Simple Green is really good for all purpose degreasing. I've had good luck with it, and it is not a strong alkaline like the purple cleaners are....BUT...for something like a tranny or rearend that is off the car, the purple cleaners really cut the goop.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:08 PM
mengbar
Instructor

Degreasers.....hmmmmmm

I love Simple Green (cut 50% with water) for engine exterior cleanup. Suspension components to.

For non aluminum parts....I like Easy-Off for the tough stuff followed by some good ole high pressure washing.

For real bad parts. HOT STEAM (rental unit) you'll loose the seals and bearings, but you were planning to replace them anyway...right?

:eek: :eek: :eek: EYE PROTECTION REQUIRED!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 01-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Greased Lightening degreaser is some good stuff. It actually removes the dirt from the carpets at the movie theatre I work at. That automatically means it is good stuff.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best De-greaser? (mengbar)

A parts washer is a worthwhile investment when you consider how much money you waste on buying gallons of degreaser that 90% of ends up soaking into your driveway. Mine is a 20 gallon and cost around $75 at a local wholesale store. It is also nice to leave parts in it overnight and pull them out clean the next morning.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:44 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Best De-greaser? (Brett K)

Agreed. A parts cleaner would be ideal, but I currently have no garage and move frequently (buying/selling fixer-upper houses). That would be one more thing to lug around.

When I finally do land in my "dream-home", a parts-washer is near the top of the list (right under air-compressor/air-tools & sand-blaster).

Best regards,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 01-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm. I suppose a 5 gallon bucket with a lid can be just as effective. I have always had luck using safety solvent with a degreaser concentrated additive from someone like GUNK. That way, you don't have to worry about fires, which is probably more important with a parts washer. I also tried Marine Clean available through POR-15 distributors. It works really well and is water based and biodegradeable, so no guilt using it in your driveway. It is a little pricey but I use half water / half marine clean...so it lasta while.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:19 PM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

brake cleaner
Old 01-07-2003, 11:27 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Best De-greaser? (SizzleChest)

74- believe it or not the best degreaser I've ever seen is whitewall cleaner from a place in Sarasota called Four Star Products. It's about $8 a gallon. Even using it 50/50 with water you need to wear rubber gloves as it will turn your hands blue over time...don't ask how I know that :rolleyes: The first time I saw it used was on a frame that had 20+ years of crud on it, after using that stuff on the frame it was squeaky clean. If you want the number/address I'll look it up for you.

I used it on my Rear Suspension 20 years of crud just washed away with a garden hose after letting it soak for a couple minutes, I was amazed. And when it all ran down the driveway none of it stuck, it just disolved the grease and dirt.

If you are going to the January NCRS show I'll pick up a gallon for you and bring it with me.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:28 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gasoline. Best degreaser ever made.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

Default Re: Best De-greaser? (SizzleChest)

brake cleaner
:iagree:

Yep, not if you want to retain any paint though.

Jon
Old 01-08-2003, 12:13 AM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Best De-greaser? (C3 Shark Tank)

Thanks all...great answers as always. You couldn't buy information like this.

SharkTank (great website by the way), I won't be attending any events in the near future, but will do a search for mentioned product. Where did you get that "Oxy-Stuff" for rust removal on the fuel tank?

I imagine gasoline would be a great degreaser, but I don't want to end up barbequeing myself or the car!

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 01-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I use Castrol Purple Heavy Duty degreaser. I've actually seen it bubble up on grease and start working almost like oven cleaner. It is rough on skin and paint so be careful when applying.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:12 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

74- Thanks! I got the Oxy-Solve from Eastwood, spray it on and let it work for a bit then wash it off with mineral spirits, the stuff worked great. Just use rubber gloves and put plenty of paper or old towels down, it wasn't bad to work with.

The Castrol stuff that Smokehouse mentioned works well too, just use care like he said, better yet thick rubber gloves.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:23 AM
davs79
Racer

get you a spray can of regular starting fluid (ether). it is flamable as hell, so spray it on a cold non running engine and away from sparks. i use it as a off the car parts cleaner using a bucket to catch all the drippings for proper disposal at local parts store. removes grease like you would not believe and the part dries fast without any type of film or resedo. so no other type of clean-up is required. just prime and paint.
:thumbs:
Old 01-08-2003, 01:04 PM
vettery
Racer

MARINE-CLEAN from ResotoMotive Laboratories. The same guys that make POR-15. If the parts are small enough you can put in a container and soak, heat it up. You'll get back to a like-new metal surface will no oil or grease stain.

Get notified of new replies

To Best De-greaser?

Quick Reply: Best De-greaser?