C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speakers Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 09:43 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rear Speakers Installed

I've just finished installing my Infinity 6X9's in the 73. I made mounting boards that fit diagonally in the rear corners. I think it came out real good and I can't wait to hear them. All I have to do is get the dash back together and get this thing running. If anyone would want to post some pics for me I would love to show them to you. Craig :cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 09:45 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear Speakers Installed (CF6873)

Yepperz!!! :jester :flag

I can see that in my immediate future!
Old 01-08-2003, 06:10 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at doing that in the near future. Did you use the design on corvettefaq.com? I checked that one out but it looks like it might be tough to secure the boxes in the corvers. How did you go about securing yours in there or are they just settign in the corners?

THANKS!

BTW - Why did you choose the Infinity speakers?

:cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

I will post them for you....... williamyelton@aol.com
Old 01-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Wardog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear Speakers Installed (Alwyn678)

Has anyone considered using the stock rear speaker panels that you could buy in 1978 and later C3's? I think those parts are available from Zip and CC. etc... I'm fairly confident they are for a pair of 6x9 speakers. I am considering this route for my car as well...

[Modified by Wardog, 4:14 PM 1/8/2003]
Old 01-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Rear Speakers Installed (Wardog)

Old 01-08-2003, 09:07 PM
cchristo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear Speakers Installed (Wardog)

I tried very hard to use the stock speaker panels that came with my 80 but the Infinity 6X9s would not fit. I made a set of semi-boxes that worked out even better than I had hoped for. One of the neat things about them was that I did them while in a motel room in Kentucky using only a hacksaw blade, box-cutter, screwdriver, some wood glue, some latex caulk and screws. Yes, I know it sounds bubba, but I'll post some pics. They look like they belong there, they sound much better than stock, and they take up absoulutely no usable room. Hopefully, I'll get her out of the shop tommorrow and use my new digital camera to post some pics of them.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:28 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: Rear Speakers Installed (cchristo)

I also tried to use the original set-up buit teh Sony Xplod 6x9s just would not fit due to larger magnet for more power capability.

Do a search on rear speaker install in the archives and you will find a few good posts with great pictures. I made the diagonal bozes like Justin79 and carpeted them with some extra black carpet that came with my interior kit. I used a high strength all purpose adhesive goop that remains flexible. I let the carpet glue dry overnight and then trimmed it out to fit properly.

They look factory and I couldnt ask for more than that.

I installed the boxes first into the corners using the brackets I made to fit the original bracket bolt holes and then I screwed the speakers into the boxes. This method save alot of wear and tear on the knuckles.

Good Luck

Brent...
Old 01-10-2003, 08:58 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear Speakers Installed (Mystery Machine)

[QUOTE]I'm looking at doing that in the near future. Did you use the design on corvettefaq.com? I checked that one out but it looks like it might be tough to secure the boxes in the corvers. How did you go about securing yours in there or are they just settign in the corners?

THANKS!

BTW - Why did you choose the Infinity speakers?

I had not seen the design on Corvettefaq until now and mine take up even less room. They were kind of tough to secure, but I think it was worth the effort. I screwed the wood plates from the back side under the car. And on the sides I drilled through the side and secured them with a bolt in the wheel house.
Alwyn 678 is having trouble getting in his site. Would anyone else like to post my pics for me? Thanks, Craig

BTW I chose the infinitys based on reports here on the forum and from some friends that have them. I got them on e-bay for a good price. :yesnod:
Old 01-12-2003, 12:17 AM
cchristo
Pro

I'll try to post some pics tommorow if I can figure out how to do it.
I've always liked Infinity. I have used their home systems in the house for years and years. When I got a wild hair up my rear to upgrade the Vette system, I wanted to go with Infinity front and rear. Couldn't make the front ones fit though. I like to stick with things that have worked for me in the past. I've never had problems with Infinity.

[Modified by cchristo, 5:19 AM 1/12/2003]
Old 01-12-2003, 03:55 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rear Speakers Installed (cchristo)

You have to have a host site to store the pictures. That is what I don't have. If you do and are willing to post these for me I will e-mail them to you. thanks, Craig

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Speakers Installed

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers Installed