C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling C3 tpi converters

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 08:21 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Calling C3 tpi converters

I am relocating the ECM on my vert and I need some advice on how to route the tpi harness from the area behind the passenger map pocket to the tpi sensors.
Also, where did you penetrate the firwall to bring the harness thru and how did you seal it after it came thru?
Any tips appreciated.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:53 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Calling C3 tpi converters (flynhi)

I put the computer at first behind the map pocket in my '72, then last winter reinstalled it below the radio position...about 1/2 in the console...more out of the way....well, sort of, anyway...the wiring was run from a spot allmost directly behind the distributor...and if you take the easier portions of the ducting away, you find a 'slot' between the main blower box and the main diverter valve....I drilled a hole there in the firewall...ran the wires, and then crammed/wrapped the area with water pipe insulation foam....works like a charm....

GENE
Old 01-07-2003, 10:13 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Calling C3 tpi converters (mrvette)

mrvette,
I'm not quite following you. My aftermarket custom autosound kenwood is smaller than the OE radio but it rests on the trans tunnel. There is no room directly below it. I cannot picture where there is room for the ecm box. Also, I'd like to have future access to the chip for tuning purposes.
Seems like it might fit if it was stood vertically behind the gauges and radio - between the gauges and the firewall. Is that what you mean?
Old 01-08-2003, 03:42 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Calling C3 tpi converters (flynhi)

On my 82' there was already one hole on the driver's side of the engine close to the fuse block. This is where the old computer and harness went through. All of that came out and in went the driver's side part of the harness. I needed two holes cut for everything to fit right, so I pulled a plug behind the glove compartment that had three vaccum lines through it. I cut the vaccum lines, reconnected them without the plugs, and the wires and vaccum lines fit through with no problem. My computer is in the glovebox. I had to actually cut a slot in the back of the box to fit it there. I needed easy access to it so I can hook a the laptop up to it. This worked out nicely for me, but my car is an 82'. I don't know how similar our firewalls or interiors are.

Get notified of new replies

To Calling C3 tpi converters

Quick Reply: Calling C3 tpi converters