C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do i clean my carberater floats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 07:05 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do i clean my carberater?

Now it is time for step 2 in my car starting journey. i replaced the fuel line, but now i need to clean the floats and remove the gelled gasoline from the carberator, how do i do this. (yes i am the kid who had the fuel lines that said "not for use with unleaded or gasohol!!)

[Modified by battsup, 4:23 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Default Re: How do i clean my carberater? (battsup)

Carb cleaner. Available everywhere, even Wal-Mart. Have at it, but don't get it on any painted surfaces!
Old 01-07-2003, 08:19 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Are you cleaning it on the car? If things are really gummed up, you may want to rebuild which is essentially a really good cleaning and replacement of a few parts and adjustment. Changing the float is no big deal and could be done then. (if it is gummed up, I don't see getting it clean anyway)
Old 01-07-2003, 08:41 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do i clean my carberater? (Bacchus)

the carb is on the car and the floats are coated with gel. i want to get it cleaned up as fast as possible so i can get the car running. so after i spray with carb cleaner do i rub it of with my fingers, us a glove, a rag , a screwdriver? what do i use?
Old 01-07-2003, 10:56 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: How do i clean my carberater? (R. Bruno)

R. Bruno

Are you cleaning it on the car? If things are really gummed up, you may want to rebuild ...
:iagree:

Too many small passages for "gum" to stick in. A rebuild seems in order. Search the archives for messages posted by "Lars", also check the FAQ link below for information.
http://www.corvettefaq.com/engine.asp
Old 01-08-2003, 12:11 AM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do i clean my carberater? (mapman)

you guys dont understand, probably due to my poor explanation but only the floats have dried gel on them. i tried spraying with carb cleaner and scraping with a screwdriver but to no avail. what am i doing wrong :confused:
Old 01-08-2003, 12:36 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

battsup,

Don't laugh - this is true. For difficult to clean carb parts (scum that just won't come off with carb cleaner) I use "Jack Iron" rum and a Q-Tip.

Jack Iron is a local rum I purchased on the Carribean island of Curacao a few years ago. I wanted a souvenir (the label is a dancing skeleton) and did NOT intend to drink it as it was unsealed. (All the bottles in the store were unsealed for that matter!)

The label says "Strong Rum - Strong Rum - Keep Away from Open Flame".

Of course I tried to light a small amount - it burst into flame. (Truth in Advertising :lol: )

Some months later I had some deposits on a carb that would not come off with carb cleaner, so on a lark I tried "Jack Iron" and a Q-Tip. Deposits came off.

AND PEOPLE DRINK THIS STUFF !

Absent a trip to Curacao, You might try getting some Everclear (pure grain alcohol) at a liquor store.

Good Luck - If it doesn't work you can make the Punch at the next party. :blueangel:
Old 01-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

you guys dont understand, probably due to my poor explanation but only the floats have dried gel on them. i tried spraying with carb cleaner and scraping with a screwdriver but to no avail. what am i doing wrong :confused:
If the gum gets dried too badly on Carb parts, spraying won't do the job. The parts need to be soaked as in submerged and left for an hour or so in carb cleaner. I'm talking about the stuff that comes in a gallon can with a strainer basket. Don't put plastic in the can, it will disappear.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:28 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: How do i clean my carberater? (Russ Bellinis)

If you don't want to pull the carb and rebuild, just replace the float. They are approx. $10-12. Cheap enough to just replace especially since they wear out anyway and will sink over time.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Don't try to clean the float. Replace it. If it's the original float, it's fuel-soaked and not floating right anyway, so you're wasting your time cleaning it. NAPA (Echlin) has exact reproduction floats in the correct NitroFill material (don't replace it with a brass float), and it will run you about $10. You'll need to re-set your float level when you replace it, but that's easy. If you post up your carb number, I can give you the correct NAPA part number for the float as well as the correct float level setting for your car.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:51 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

battsup -
One more thing.... the "gel" on the outside of the stock NitroFill float is the outer seal coating of the NitroFill float. If this has been scratched or damaged, you'll need to replace the float anyway... List price on the float from NAPA is $11.74 - you should be able to get it cheaper than that since nobody sells stuff at list.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:17 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do i clean my carberater? (lars)

If you post up your carb number, I can give you the correct NAPA part number for the float as well as the correct float level setting for your car.
my carb number is "L1 9625SA" and its made by Carter
thanks in advance lars

Get notified of new replies

To How do i clean my carberater floats?

Quick Reply: How do i clean my carberater floats?