C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably asking for it.............

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 05:27 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably asking for it.............

I'm interested in changing my '80 to a 5 or 6 speed. It has an automatic now. How difficult would it be and would it be worth my time/money? I love the sound of a musclecar banging through the gears with Flowmasters. :flag
Old 01-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Probably asking for it............. (greatgonzoglenn)

The way I hear it the hardest part is changing out the pedal assembly. Other than that it isn't much harder than any other transmission swap. With the automatic you have the advantage of a removable crossmember, which the manual guys don't have.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:41 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Probably asking for it............. (greatgonzoglenn)

Several here have accomplished this, I will let you know as soon as I put in my TKO 5 speed. I have purchased the pedal asm and for my appication I am using the hydraulic slave cyl.and set up from an '86 Corvette.

I did learn that from the cross reference of pedal asm's that the only difference in the '80-'81 and the previous is the size of the pad on the later set.

I think the best way is to pull the steering column and dash to put this in. It is going to be a job. I need to pull it anyway to put in a heater core and some other things. Good luck with your project. JIM
Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: Probably asking for it.............

i have a 3 speed auto in my ride and i was wondering if i could just swap tranys and make it a 6 speed auto? if not a 6 can i do a 5? I dont see why not but i thought i would ask tho pros here.... would i see a little better performance doing this?

thanks
Old 01-07-2003, 07:26 PM
97Z
Instructor

Default Re: Probably asking for it............. (HcDave1)

The only way you could do a 5 or even a 6 speed auto would be to find a tranny of that type and put it in. You cannot make a manual Tranny an Auto. The easiest swap for an auto you could do would either be a 700R4 or a 200R4. Other than that a richmond stickshift would be the easiest stick conversion. Hope this helps......I would post more but i'm at work.

Get notified of new replies

To Probably asking for it.............

Quick Reply: Probably asking for it.............