C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker Oddities

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 05:23 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stroker Oddities

I'm still I guess getting used to the new noises of this motor. It is my first stroker ... and the engine builder says that it's bound to make noises when cold. He says that the stroker pistons are assembled with a lot more slack than the engines I'm used to bulding and that when cold, noise is normal. That combined with the roller rockers and I'm just amazed at the noise when cold.

Now the rockers I'm ok with - sounds like a solid cam and I've built & driven cars with solid cams for years. But that piston slap when cold drives me nuts! It sounds like a rod knock!

Just how normal is this noise? Is it better in warm weather?? :hat
Old 01-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Yellow79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stroker Oddities (SanDiegoPaul)

if someone else can answer this, im interested in that too :confused:
Old 01-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Forged pistons are going to make more noise that cast pistons especially when the engine is cold.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: Stroker Oddities (Smokehouse69)

:iagree:
Old 01-07-2003, 06:02 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Stroker Oddities (Smokehouse69)

Forged pistons are going to make more noise that cast pistons especially when the engine is cold

And does it sound like a rod knock? :mad
Old 01-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Clink69
Drifting

" He says that the stroker pistons are assembled with a lot more slack than the engines I'm used to bulding and that when cold, noise is normal."

That sounds like a bit of BS to me. Mine does not make any similar noises cold. When warm I do hear the lifters though. Mine are forged pistons..., forged everything for that matter... do you have 5.7 or 6 " rods.?

Chris :flag

[Modified by Clink69, 8:02 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have forged pistons and a solid cam and there is some noise when cold but not a rod knock sound. Unless they set it up with huge clearance, there should be some noise but not a loud noise. Does it go away when warm.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:49 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Forged pistons can make a slight sound but I agree. It shouldnt sound like rod knock?

Old 01-07-2003, 08:02 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I would get the builders blessing on the noise and a signed copy of the warantee. Sounds like you're going to need it. I had noises on the first 406 that seemed too load to be normal coming from the valve train. Guess what? The cam went flat in 2000 miles. Live and learn. :U
Old 01-07-2003, 09:42 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Stroker Oddities (Gordonm)

I have forged pistons and a solid cam and there is some noise when cold but not a rod knock sound. Unless they set it up with huge clearance, there should be some noise but not a loud noise. Does it go away when warm.

Well, maybe a rod knock is an overstatement. But it's defiinetly noisier than I expected. I've built and driven hot rods for years and the reason this one is different is because I paid SOMEONE ELSE TO BUILD IT for a handful of reasons. But none of my motors ever sounded like this one when cold. But I have never used forged pistons or built a stroker before, either.

He built it with 4 thou piston clearance. It is an Eagle Forged stroker kit with 6 inch rods. 4340 forged crank 3.750, H-Beam rods and SRP Dished pistons.

I have no problem at all "getting used to the noise." I wanna make that clear. My issue is ONLY if there is a prob with the motor!!! (there is no warranty on the engine other than defective materials).

Other than getting the darn car on the Dyno to get it tuned properly, it runs fine. And yes, all that noise (save for the roller rockers) does go away after it is warmed up. :jester
Old 01-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Sounds like just cold piston slap. The thing is forged pistons expand more than the block expands when warmed up. One machine shop I know of runs 180 degree coolant through the block as he bores and hones the cylinders so that it is accurate to operating temperature specs. You can guess that when cold, the bores would then be larger, but when warm the bore shrinks and the piston insides expands to match. It probably wouldn't be anything to worry about. Maybe get a block heater ;)
Old 01-08-2003, 12:36 AM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

6" rods require pistons with a shorter skirt, forged require more clearance = more noise.
Todd

Get notified of new replies

To Stroker Oddities

Quick Reply: Stroker Oddities