C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'74 wire colors

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Teuffelhunde
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '74 wire colors

I need to know what the colors of the wires going to the starter motor/solenoid are. Mine are so burned and oily I can't tell!! :confused:
Old 01-07-2003, 05:34 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: '74 wire colors (Teuffelhunde)

Dear Teufflehunde,
According to my Haynes Workshop Manual, there is a BLACK "0" gauge wire (cable) from the battery, a 20 gauge YELLOW wire going to a Primary ignition resistance bypass, a 12 gauge RED wire going to the junction block just near the washer reservoir in front of the master cylinder and a PURPLE 12 gauge wire from the solenoid disappearing into the wiring loom. I also have a '74, but have an HEI tach drive distributor fitted and all the wires painted with black spray paint by a former owner (butcher? ) What I would love to see is a good colour photo of a 1974 wiring harness to help me with my restoration. Perhaps one of the forum guys has one.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 01-07-2003, 06:31 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: '74 wire colors (aussiejohn)

I just had to replace these wires on my '74, the starter wiring for the '74 is a "0" guage black wire (Battery) and a #12 Red wire on the large terminal of the solenoid, a #20 Yellow (I used #18) between the "R" terminal on the coil and the "+" terminal of the coil (there is also a resistance wire on this terminal), and last a #12 Purple wire from the "S" terminal of the coil to the starter interlock override switch and the starter override interlock relay (there is a splice in the factory harness). this information is out of the GM service manual. On the wiring diagram it also looks like there is a fusible link in the #12 Red wire.

Hope this helps
Steve
:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To '74 wire colors

Quick Reply: '74 wire colors