C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 11:15 AM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think?

As of late there have been topics on pure stock vs mod. cars and the changing of forum members.As for me,I enjoy vettes in most any form.I would truly love to own a #s bb midyear but at the same time I wouldn`t pass on a modified one either if it was done correctly.With my 75,I chose to build what I would be happy with.What I think gm should have built.165 hp is just not to awe inspireing.Am I a 1/4 mile junkie?No.I gave that up quite some time ago after spending a number of years at the track running both cars and IDBA national meets.Best was a 8.81@152 mph on a Kaw.,which was a national record at the time.Then as now,I also appreciate a purely stock vette.There is a place for both,none better than the other.As Paul79 has pointed out,there is a shift in the posting members.Seems there is quite a few younger members coming on board and with that comes the lean toward preformance.There is nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with pure stock talk.What us older guys have to remember is we were there once also.There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and trust me Paul79 everyone looks forward to your posts.That is our place now to share this knowledge we have gained over the years.The common thread is we all love VETTES. :thumbs:
Old 01-07-2003, 11:22 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (J75)

My car was Stock when I bought it ....Almost two years ago and I have changed virtually everything on it to make it faster. I kept the old parts in case I want to go back but I am sure that I will not :D
Old 01-07-2003, 12:52 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (Alwyn678)

I'm a Geezer here (I'm 55) but modified is the way for me to go. A 180HP L-48 just didnt get it for me. Top end of motor has been completely redone and that makes me :D :D :D
Old 01-07-2003, 01:08 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (tnt76vette)

tnt, I"m 58 3/4, and am the same way, i'ts only just a car man...not a damn museum piece....and anybody who thinks otherwise will some day turn over in their grave, as their perfect NCRS car is turned into a hotrod by today's babies.....and that WILL happen, sure as hell....NO mistake about that....

I think there is just TOOOOO much modern tech that is easily adaptable into our C3's to let it pass us up by not applying it.....everything from roller cams to induction. to headers. to o/drive trannies...to wheels/tires..to steering mods....to brake mods....the list is endless....

GENE
Old 01-07-2003, 02:45 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

As of late there have been topics on pure stock vs mod. cars and the changing of forum members.As for me,I enjoy vettes in most any form.I would truly love to own a #s bb midyear but at the same time I wouldn`t pass on a modified one either if it was done correctly.With my 75,I chose to build what I would be happy with.What I think gm should have built.165 hp is just not to awe inspireing.Am I a 1/4 mile junkie?No.I gave that up quite some time ago after spending a number of years at the track running both cars and IDBA national meets.Best was a 8.81@152 mph on a Kaw.,which was a national record at the time.Then as now,I also appreciate a purely stock vette.There is a place for both,none better than the other.As Paul79 has pointed out,there is a shift in the posting members.Seems there is quite a few younger members coming on board and with that comes the lean toward preformance.There is nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with pure stock talk.What us older guys have to remember is we were there once also.There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and trust me Paul79 everyone looks forward to your posts.That is our place now to share this knowledge we have gained over the years.The common thread is we all love VETTES. :thumbs:
I think it's unwise to make generalizations :(
I'm an Old Geezer and I am into highly modifying my C3 for performance.
I also believe there is room to appreciate a stock Vette as well as a performance/modded one. It's just that the ones I "appreciate" that fit that description are pretty much BOTH big blocks. I like the stock L-88 and I like the full blast big blocks. What really doesn't interest me much are the "lean years" of 1975-1982. Unless the owner of a Vette in that time period installed, or is in the process of installing, a big block, I really can't get very excited about them. They are "nice cars". That's okay. But my 2002 Monte Carlo SS is a "nice car" too.
It all comes down to different strokes for different folks. :D

Dep

[Modified by Dep, 5:57 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 04:12 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (Dep)

Thankfully, the C3 population has a 'normal' distribution of personality and
preference. On one extreme are the purist restorers, who would never put
a reproduction part on their baby. On the other extreme are pure custom
folks, who might remove all original parts because they are too heavy and
replace them with custom made aluminum. I would estimate that about 5%
of the community fall into each of these catagories. That leaves 90% left over,
and I put myself in this catagory of people who do what they want to their
vette to make themselves happy. Most of us are too old to be called young
and too crazy to feel old. :crazy: :yesnod:

I'm only 37, but I divide by 2 to get my 'vette personality' of 18 1/2.

I don't want to alienate anyone with the catagorizing above. I just want to
illustrate that without a mix of all types - it would be pretty boring in here.

:seeya
Old 01-07-2003, 04:24 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm 40 and never cared for #'s games. Just like hot looking fast cars!Doesn't mean stockers are wrong,just means I like to do my own thing! :steering:
Old 01-07-2003, 04:49 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (The Money Pit)

I can't say I like one any more than the other. As for an early C3, I wasn't born yet and never got to see them in a showroom floor. So seeing or owning a completely stock #'s car is exciting for me. At the same time I'm fairly young, 26, and like the high performance additions. I've kind of gone both ways with mine. When I bought it, the seller told me it was a numbers matching engine and I was stupid enough to just take his word for it. So at first anything I fixed/replaced/upgraded I made sure I could return to the stock form. Then after the Corvetteforum brought some wisdom my way I found out I had a NOM 79 truck engine. Since then I've said....MODIFY! :D Although, to the non-informed it still looks pretty stock.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My post on that subject defined "stock" and "original." My tastes run to the former.

The matter of age demographics, and a person's interests, is open to debate. I have mellowed with time but others like Dep still love the high performance aspect of Corvetting. One can only be subjective in reaching conclusions as the ages of members are not known, unless expressed by them.

At this point I have to point out that I have purchased Borla Pro XS mufflers for my 1979. The installation will look stock but the noise level may be...a little more aggressive;) . Of course I will keep the stock units if the Borlas shake up the neighbourhood too much. Or the local constabulary.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:02 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (paul79)

I was 35 when I bought my Vette. It already ahd 120,000+ miles on it and could never be brought back to factory condition without spending "Big Bucks." Even then, I don't know why I would want to do it. I enjoy driving my car so why would I want to make it into a trailer queen. if it was that perfect and I had spent that muck money I don't think I could drive it. Besides the fact that a "excellent condition" car isn't worth as much as I have into it with the stuff I have done to it. There isn't anything wrong with having a fully correct Vette if thats what you want but for me- Drive it like it was ment to be. :cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 06:28 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (redwingvette)

I'm '55, and been driving Corvettes for awhile now. But I also was a teenager during the muscle car era, and I still like the power and performance. I didn't buy my car with the intention of showing it, or trying to win trophys, but to drive it every day that I could.

The matching # L46 block has been completely "freshened" and go fast parts were installed before it went back into the car. Car is not perfect, it's a driver. Bystanders do not see the little flaws that I know exist, or the screw that is not original. I have to enjoy my corvette or there is no sense in owning it. It's not an "investment" for me, but it loses less value than that new car that was just driven off the showroom floor.

Drive em if ya got em....... :steering: :steering: :steering:
Old 01-07-2003, 06:50 PM
J75
Racer

Sorry if it was taken that I was generalizing or categorizing as that was not the intent.As many students as I see post,it seems that there are quite a few younger members.Of course we have all heard of the 70 year old fresman.Again,my intent was not to offend anyone,only to point out the many different aspects of our hobby.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:05 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Sorry if it was taken that I was generalizing or categorizing as that was not the intent.As many students as I see post,it seems that there are quite a few younger members.Of course we have all heard of the 70 year old fresman.Again,my intent was not to offend anyone,only to point out the many different aspects of our hobby.
No sweat...I sure wasn't offended. I just wanted to clarify that not just young guys go for performance.

Dep...wondering if there is an Old Geezer Vette Owner icon?
Old 01-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I was not offended! Keep expressing your opinions. It gives life to the C3 area. I have never hesitated to do so....One thing you may not know but watch it carefully ;) . Although there are more than 30,000 members of the Forum in total, there are probably less than 200 active members here. Many lurk; but many do not speak :( . So keep at it.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:11 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (mrvette)

i agree with gene,these cars are made to be modded,the older i get the more i want to change things on it,ill be 34 next week,i cant imagine what its gone to be like when im 50,maybe itll be a c3 body with a c5 drivetrain.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:37 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (patsnitrovette)

Looking at your comment from an investment standpoint, it is less expensive to maintain a stock car in its stock configuration. Come re-sale time, you (in most cases) will receive more return on your investment.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Old 01-08-2003, 02:10 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (74FLCONV)

Looking at your comment from an investment standpoint, it is less expensive to maintain a stock car in its stock configuration. Come re-sale time, you (in most cases) will receive more return on your investment.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Values of Corvettes are VERY subjective. It all depends on how long you are willing to wait for a buyer, and what the modifications are. If you installed a factory option that was available at the time of purchase, I think it would actually INCREASE the value of the car. By the same token, installing all kinds of wild flared fenders and bogus hood scoops will cause a major loss in value. I would think that if you had a ZL-1 engine installed in a 1969 Corvette, even if it didn't COME with it, it would raise it's value considrably over a a stock 350.

As to the statement about it being less expensive to maintain a stock car in it's stock condition...that is ONLY true if you NEVER drive the car and keep it sealed in a vacuum chamber. Just the normal tune-up parts on an old style points/condensor Vette, IF YOU WANT TO KEEP IT 100% ORIGINAL, are going to be pretty expensive. These C3s are getting pretty long in the tooth and a LOT of parts are in need of replacement. Those parts are NOT cheap by any stretch. It's a lot less expensive for me to buy speed parts that I am only concerned function well, than to search for and find EXACTLY the right nuts and bolts with the correct manufacturer's stamp on them just to keep a car "correct". And then pay an inflated price just to get that stamp on them. Corvettes were made to DRIVE...not just admire from a distance.

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think?

Old 01-08-2003, 05:49 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

I have never owned a performance vehicle before my corvette so the thrill of driving a fast car is something I was really exscited about. WHen I realized the L-48 engine was not at all what I was hoping I decided to make a change to something with a little more guts. Now I REALLY love driving my car. But, I still really like the look of a C3 so I am trying to make a modern car out of it (engine & interior) while still keeping it stock-looking on the outside.

BTW - with all the different philosophies on the forum (modified-vs-stock) I have to say I have only seen 1 or 2 that I wouldn't LOVE to have in my garage. Most are awesome vehicles and some of the owners are true artists.

:cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 08:35 AM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (HDIronman)

I didn't buy my car with the intention of showing it, or trying to win trophys, but to drive it every day that I could.
THAT is how I am about my Vette...I bought it to DRIVE it!!!!!!!

I started out driving in the ''MUSCLE'' car era...and had my share of ''hot rods''...but I had always wanted a vette..mostly for the looks!!!!!

My '79 was about as close to ''perfect'' as it could be when I bought it..and I did leave it alone for quite a few years...but I got ''bored'' with it....decided that I wanted something more ( every muscle car I owned was like that..always something to add to it!)...but I have such a ''love affair'' with it that I decided to mod it out instead olf buying something else... I never have had any intentions of selling it....but I suppose that if the right person with the right price came along I would...but I doubt that would even happen.

There are alot of people that think I have destroyed my Vette...but to each is own..it IS my Vette and dammit I am gonna have it the way I want it!..doesn't make me wrong...just different!!!!

I can appreciate the time and effort that goes into a complete NCRS Corvette but that is just not my style.

So here's to the Modded Corvettes :cheers:
Old 01-08-2003, 09:49 AM
J75
Racer

Default Re: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think? (LakotasRose)

That is one of the things that make owning a vette so great.You can make it your own,any way you choose.The one thing I have seen time and again is a "original car"tends to sell quicker and for a higher price.Now that is not true every time,it comes down to finding a buyer that likes the mods that make it "your car".As I`ve said I love em all.I am 48 as of today,ya Elvis was lucky to be born on my birthday. ;) I own a 75 with a 400+ hp 383 and love it more every time I drive it. :steering: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Quick Reply: Stock or mod,young and older.What do you think?