C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!!

Old 01-07-2003, 02:37 AM
76StingRayL-48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!!

I trying to go out and put an auto start, alarm, power locks. combo and has any one done this to thair vettes on this forum??? I was thinkin of using the trunk button to conect to a SURVO that will squirt fule into the carb. Then start is up with the remote. But my biggest issure is, dose any one know of a power lock mechanism for the doors? :smash:
Old 01-07-2003, 05:57 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!!

Ive been looking into it ..... i havent seen many options for c3s i see all kinds for c4 and 5 but im sure there is tons im just not looking but i thought it would be tight to have one installed

alarm, door locks, windows, starter is what i would love to have with a remote just to give it a touch of modern style
Old 01-07-2003, 08:25 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (76StingRayL-48)

Wouldn't do it, I haven't seen one go more then 8 years without messing up. They all end up as a no start or intermittant no start eventually. Ask anyone who does auto electrical and driveability for a living such as myself about these and we will all avoid them, your just placing another possible electrical gremlin into already 30 year old wiring. Now if you do all the wiring yourself and your good at troubleshooting electrical, by all means go for it, but plan on repairing it yourself if something goes wrong, the main reason is shops don't have a schematic of that system available to them, only the stock systems, therefore they will be troubleshooting it blind.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-07-2003, 05:03 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (73 LS-4)

Definitely a DIY venture.

I just put one in my Buick - kinda PITA but doable with mediocre skills.

My vette would start without pumping in about .75 seconds of key turn.
I was gonna put a remote starter in, but realized this is best for cold weather
starting. I decided to put it in my wife's Blazer instead. :blueangel:

Not sure about power door locks - didn't the 79-82 have them optional ?

:seeya
Old 01-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (76StingRayL-48)

Somewhere in the archives is some information on installing power lock actuators on an early C-3. A couple of people did it a couple of years ago, I think that Zwede might have done something along those lines, but I might be wrong.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:15 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (Daves_rusty_75)

I was thinking about putting the keyless entry/alarm combo on my 81. I'm still planning on doing it, but haven't yet. I would like to have the keyless start also, but figured I couldn't since I didn't have fuel injection, but according to you all, I guess I was wrong. What exactly could you put on the car to make it put gas in the carb when you push (for ex. the trunk button)? Generally, I have to pump the gas pedal 2-3 times to set the choke, so could there be a way to hook up remote start???
Old 01-07-2003, 07:29 PM
76StingRayL-48
Advanced

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (73 LS-4)

you kidding me my car is an electrical mess alredy i would never let a shop toch it what im doing is make a new harness for all the crap that i put into it like sterio so if somthing brakes i know ectly what to chck
Old 01-07-2003, 07:42 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

It's true they do break down, mine only lasted 1 1/2 years in my daily driver and it would shut the car off whenever it felt like it, usually in the middle of an intersection or the fast lane on the highway.

Cost me 300 bucks to figure out what was doing it as there was no codes stored in the computer. Meanwhile I bought another car, then I disconnected the unit now I got 2 good cars and only need one, real pain the butt :mad

[Modified by MotorHead, 6:44 PM 1/7/2003]
Old 01-07-2003, 07:44 PM
76StingRayL-48
Advanced

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (corvettemaster)

Well they dont recomend to put it onto carb cars and stick cars. But both for not so good resons most stick cars have a button on the clutch pedal that the car must be started only with the clutch pedal down, but that button could be cut and then splise the who wires that are left. Because most carbs need a pump from the gas pedel once or twice they dont work well on carbs, mine needs a pump some times. But if any one here likes the RC hobby there are these things called SURVOS small triggers that can push up to 200+ OZ and cost around 100$. I was thinking of conecting one to the Choke and use the trunk button on the remote the pump the gas with that SURVO :crazy:
Old 01-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (Daves_rusty_75)

Not sure about power door locks - didn't the 79-82 have them optional ?
:yesnod: My car has them.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:06 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

It wasn't Marcus and I can't remember who it was to give him credit, but I have the pictures he posted of the install. If you want them email me. The kit comes from Radio Shack and was about 40 bucks. The same lock kit in the stereo shop is around $100. An afternoons work and mine has been working through an aftermarket alarm for a couple of years with no problems.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:53 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (Bob Blackmon)

Woud you mind emailing me the instructions for the install. rmenzies@stingray-webdesign.com

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:57 PM
dukvet76
Pro

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (Bob Blackmon)

Okay, not thinking to check corvettefaq.com ... here's the link for anyone else interested ...
http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/c...doorlocks.html
Old 01-08-2003, 05:58 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (dukvet76)

If you find actuators that work please let me know!! I tried a couple sets and couldn't get them to budge my 20+ year old locks...
Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!! (HcDave1)

Ive been looking into it ..... i havent seen many options for c3s i see all kinds for c4 and 5 but im sure there is tons im just not looking but i thought it would be tight to have one installed

alarm, door locks, windows, starter is what i would love to have with a remote just to give it a touch of modern style
Same here. I picture myself walking up to my car in the parking garage with some hot chicks watching (car has T-tops off) as I turn the alarm off, roll down the windows, and start the car (huge eruption of HP and exhaust kicks in) from about 30 ft. away. Sweet... My friend's truck has it and he's never had a problem with it.

[Modified by SuprJames, 11:06 PM 1/8/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Im thinkin of instaling auto start into my vette!!!