C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 06:05 PM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ??

I,ve looked at a few and they all say not to use on fiberglass...Do I need to go to a marine type store for this stripper ??...I,ve seen it in catalogs do I need to order it or can I go and get it locally..Thanks ...I,ve decided to try the chemical process if this is really slow I,ll go to sanding or razor blade :smash: Also Does anyone have experience with the HUSKEY brand air compressors that home depot sells??I was loking at the 7hp 220v 60 gallon model oiler it was $379....or would the 6hp craftsman 30 gallon 115v $279 be enough for sraying primer/paint ...

[Modified by White 68, 5:10 PM 1/6/2003]
Old 01-06-2003, 06:33 PM
ice pac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ?? (White 68)

I'm pretty sure most everyone here will agree. Don't use chemical strippers. They eat through the glass. Read Lars' paper on bodywork and painting in the tech section.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:36 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ?? (ice pac)

Capt'n Lees, Kleenstrip, and Bix all make fiberglass safe strippers. Lots of folks here have used them with great results. As long as you use the right stripper and neutralize it properly, you'll be fine.

As for the compressor, buy the highest CFM rating you can afford. Nobody ever utters the phrase "I should have bought the smaller compressor".

Shannon
Old 01-06-2003, 06:41 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ?? (sb69coupe)

Kleenstrip is working great on my car. Im halfway done and havent been working on it very much.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm pretty sure most everyone here will agree. Don't use chemical strippers. They eat through the glass. Read Lars' paper on bodywork and painting in the tech section.
I totally agree
Old 01-06-2003, 09:49 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I used Captain Lee's on my 77. (You can find it in Ecklers). It worked great. Takes off the paint and stops at the primer mostly. No damage to the fiberglass.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I'm pretty sure most everyone here will agree. Don't use chemical strippers. They eat through the glass"

I TOTALLY DISAGREE

I've been stripping Corvettes since I bought my first 63 coupe in 1975. If the proper stripper and technique are used it's by far the safest method. Nobody on the face of the earth can razor blade strip without nicks and as far as sanding, there's always one edge that's gonna get rounded or damaged, not to mention the surface of the bare glass is going to change.

There are several products that I've used successfully. Dupont makes a stripper that's in a grey and white can that works well and the Redi Strip spray product displayed at most major Corvette swap meets works well also. It's really a simple process, duct tape the door cracks, hood cracks, etc so the stuff doesn't run everywhere and apply to one section at the time. If it's a brush on stripper it's important that all the brush strokes are one direction, instead of back and forth. Once the stripper has time to work, scrape it off with a plastic squeegie, like is used to spread body filler. After it's washed down to the primer, most stripers won't remove it, but have it somwhat softened. The primer can be washed off with scotch brite pads and laquer thinner to perfect, unmolested fiberglass. The spray on Redi Strip works very similar, except it's sprayed instead of brushed. This stripper can also be used with the scotch bright pads to wash off the primer according to the people who sell it at the shows, but I still prefer to use the laquer thinner.
I don't think there's anybody good enough with a DA to sand it to the finish that stripping/scrubbing provides.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:42 PM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ?? (Solidlifters)

:thumbs: :iagree: I use chemical strippers all of the time and never had a problem.Capt lees is good but buy it straight from the manufacturer(Halon marketing).I also have used the stuff from home depot(kleen strip and bix.)They work well.The problem everyone has is that they need to let it breathe for a week or so after wards.Fiber glass without paint on it is like a sponge and it needs to dry GOOD after the final rinse stage.DONT have it bead blasted .I have been charged up to 1500 per corvette and they look like a tennis ball when it is done.Good luck!
Old 01-06-2003, 11:57 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Personally, I would just get the car media blasted.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:49 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ?? (paintdaddy)

:thumbs: :iagree: I use chemical strippers all of the time and never had a problem.Capt lees is good but buy it straight from the manufacturer(Halon marketing).I also have used the stuff from home depot(kleen strip and bix.)They work well.The problem everyone has is that they need to let it breathe for a week or so after wards.Fiber glass without paint on it is like a sponge and it needs to dry GOOD after the final rinse stage.DONT have it bead blasted .I have been charged up to 1500 per corvette and they look like a tennis ball when it is done.Good luck!
I agree too. I've stripped my 74 twice with Capt'n Lee's and never had a problem. I've also stripped numerous parts with no problem For an article on stripping go here to my website. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page9.htm
Old 01-07-2003, 09:00 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ?? (vettfixr)

Stripped my entire 69 with KleanStrip Vette stripper specifically made for fiberglass. Wash and rinse with clean water over and over again is the key to neturalize it and let it dry for a period of time. Also stay away from spots that are hard to wash off easily or get the stripper cleaned out of easily.
I too still can't figure out the razor blade thing.
I get images of little scratches and gouges is the glass every where in my mind when I think about it.

Get notified of new replies

To What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ??

Quick Reply: What brand of paint stripper to use on my C3 ??