C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older C3 rotors

Old 01-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Skruball73
Burning Brakes

Location: Inside every color vette there is a blue one trying to come out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Older C3 rotors

From what I have read in the past, it the rotors still have rivets in them, you have to drill out the rivets to get the rotors off....I just replaced all 4 calipers and noticed that on my 73 the front rotors have the rivets in them. How do I drill them out? What size bit should I use?
Old 01-06-2003, 02:31 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Older C3 rotors (Skruball73)

Center p unch and drill with 1/8 bit, then use a 1/2 inch bit.....untill the rivit heads come loose...then bang rotor off rest of way...back punch rivits out...or grind them down....

GENE
Old 01-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

You really don't have to drill completely through the rivet, all you need to do is remove the head of the rivet, so choose a bit that is about the same diameter as the head of the rivet. Then just drill into the head slowly until most of the metal is cut away. Then you can normally scrape or pry the remainder of the head off with an old flat bladed screwdriver. After the had is removed, use a punch or drift pin to drive the back part of the rivet out of the rotor hub.
It is harder to really explain how to do this than it is to actually do the job.
Good Luck!
Old 01-06-2003, 02:34 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To drill the rotors first center punch each rivit as best you can then start small. Drill a small hole in the center of each rivet then slowly expand the drill bit size until the rivit comes out on the drill bit. If you drill too big it is not a problem. Actually saves a little weight. I think the rivits could be about 3/8th but could be bigger. Just start drilling and you will know when the rivit has been drilled out.
The rotors are still stuck to the hub so a little persuation is required. The wheel studs hold the new rotors on.

Get notified of new replies

To Older C3 rotors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Older C3 rotors