C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal assembly

Old 01-06-2003, 12:16 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch pedal assembly

Hi guys

Can someone explain to me how the clutch pedal assembly works? step on it, hits a z bar, nocks the fricton material off the flywheel... but anyone know the angles, attachment points an such?

I'm thinking about fabricating some stuff for the vette, so i'd like to learn about how the clutch setup works

Thanks guys
ZD
Old 01-06-2003, 12:35 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Clutch pedal assembly (ZD75blue)

And one other question...

A blow proof bellhousing, is it something that everyone needs? Or will a stock aluminum one handle a clutch gernading? And for street use, is it an issue?

Thanks again guys

ZD :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 12:46 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Are you trying to convert from auto to manual? If so I would look at the hym joint linkage setup that the people who sell Steeroids have. They are a supporting vendor and from the pictures that another member posted that is the way I am going. As far as the blow proof bell housing. I would definately go that route. I am putting one in mine and if you have ever seen a clutch explode you wouldn't hasitate to add this to your parts list. Good luck! :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 01:01 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Clutch pedal assembly (BlackRat)

thanks

I was thinking about a tierod setup... hehe

probably easier to just buy one :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 01:38 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To me a hydraulic clutch is alot easier maintenance free to install. All the parts can be bought and just bolt it in. No linkage to deal with around the headers and no binding due to engine torque. A donor bellhousing can have the slave cylinder bolted to the side and you only need a simple brake line to connect the slave cylinder. A 85 one ton truck clutch master cylinder with only a linkage change bolts right in. No holes need drilling in the firewall. They are already there.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:01 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Clutch pedal assembly (norvalwilhelm)

To me a hydraulic clutch is alot easier maintenance free to install. All the parts can be bought and just bolt it in. No linkage to deal with around the headers and no binding due to engine torque. A donor bellhousing can have the slave cylinder bolted to the side and you only need a simple brake line to connect the slave cylinder. A 85 one ton truck clutch master cylinder with only a linkage change bolts right in. No holes need drilling in the firewall. They are already there.
Hows the pedal feel on that? And what happens when she gets air in the system?

Thanks
ZD :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 04:04 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think all modern clutches are hydraulic. Easy push. Don't need legs like a gorilla, They don't get air in them. Never needs bleeding.
I can't see the old mechanical linkage setup other then being stock worth the effort or problems.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:13 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Thanks norval... I'll be doing some looking around :cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 08:56 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Norval,

Could you post detailed instructions on how you installed the hyd clutch and what parts you used. I am not familiar with these systems and don't have a clue as to where to begin.
Thanks
Wade :cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 12:04 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: Clutch pedal assembly (BlackRat)

Most any new car/truck has hydraulic clutches now days. All you need is a master cylinder and a slave cylinder. Connect the master cylinder to your clutch pedal and the slave cylinder to your clutch fork. Once it is bled and has no leaks it should be fine for many years. I had a hydraulic clutch on an MGB I owned a long time ago and it got air in it. It would not go into gear but after I bled it it worked great. The good thing about bleeding a clutch……. there is only one slave cylinder and only one hydraulic line. It is very easy. I have thought about converting mine to a hydraulic clutch more than once so if there is anyone that has done it to a stock clutch pedal/bell housing/clutch fork, I know I would be interested in how it was done and what problems/solutions you came up with also.
John

[Modified by theandies, 11:05 AM 1/7/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal assembly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch pedal assembly