C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 01:22 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!!

Well it took some thought into figuring out how to mount the pipes since the hardware was missing. With the help of Steve Strauss and a few others i got it figured out though. I am a lil upset with the rocker panel trimming job i did on the drivers side. it is definitely noticeable, while the passenger side required barely any trimming at all and is unnoticeable.

So I never put inserts in yet since I wanted to try it w/o them. Well no freaking way is that gonna fly for long. I went for one quick drive not even 2 miles and a cop followed me back to my house....luckily he was out of jurisdiction and couldnt have done anything. Looks like ill be getting a set of JCLs soon.

In any case, I can definitely hear the cam more now and picked up some HP. The original 1 5/8 headers and choked up 2 1/2 chambered was definitely robbing some HP and sweet sounds :D

Also installed my new chrome 100 amp alternator which will hopefully cure my battery wows. My new mini-starter also went in. That thing sure is cool :cool:
Thanks to everyone who helped my getting these installed!
Chris

{edit} pictures added
and here is a link to a video and audio of the car running...
Click here for video
Click here for audio

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

Im gonna miss these tips though :cry
After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

[Modified by 74VETTE, 7:48 PM 1/6/2003]
Old 01-06-2003, 01:36 AM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (74VETTE)

Yeah BABY!!! Ain't it fun? :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 07:20 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (72rdstr)

chris cant wait to hear it :yesnod: i have my rocker panels in black if you need one to recut again.call me when your down.ill be in new york in the morning tues. but back in the afternoon.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (74VETTE)

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 01-06-2003, 08:16 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (Mystery Machine)

Nice job Chris. :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 07:53 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (QuickVet)

thanks guys... i posted pics of before and after and a video and audio file :cool:
Old 01-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks great...Do you wanna sell the tips?? I bet it is Loud now!! Sweet

[Modified by Alwyn678, 8:09 PM 1/6/2003]
Old 01-06-2003, 08:00 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (QuickVet)

Chris,

:cool: :cool:

Awesome, man! Looks just like mine!

I just pulled the Hooker baffles out of mine b/c they were just killing power in my 454. I have been running them open. I only drive the car on sunny days...maybe once a week, but I am not sure I'm gonna put any baffles in there. I've got the JCL's here now, and I know they will be better than the Hooker ones, but I am not sure I want to give up _any_ power...even if its just 10-15hp.

I agree that it is very, very loud. I don't plan to drive my car late at night when the neighbors will undoubtedly object. But, I've driven by several cops and didn't have any issue.

I am sure there _are_ local laws about noise limits, but I do not know them.

This last Sat. I went out for a cruise and happened upon some Harley bikes at a light. I was behind them. They didn't see me and they were goosing the throttle a little bit at idle. I couldn't resist. Revved it in neutral just a bit and their heads snapped around so fast... :lol: I just smiled and waved.

So what is the cop going to do? Check and see if you have inserts, or just give you a ticket for it being too loud?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:27 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (WA 2 FST)

sounds great ,that is incredible , i love it :D
Old 01-06-2003, 10:08 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Interesting that your Vette sounds so different from mine... Well - it might be my solid cam...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 01-06-2003, 10:33 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (GrandSportC3)

Could be the cam, but i recorded the sound clip with a digital camera which cant handle the sound soo well.
do you have a clip of yours?
Old 01-06-2003, 10:45 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Could be the cam, but i recorded the sound clip with a digital camera which cant handle the sound soo well.
do you have a clip of yours?
Well I have several:

This was recorded when I got the engine: (quicktime format)
http://www.c3sharktank.com/sound/grandsportc3.mov

Following video is from the track: (windows media player format)
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/gran...moroso1219.wmv

Olivier
Old 01-06-2003, 10:56 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (GrandSportC3)

That sounds a lil more accurate to mine in real life. The camera cant handle the dB's i think.

Sounds sweet tho!! Love the burnout :D
Old 01-07-2003, 12:39 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Looks Great & I'm sure it sounds great Chris!!!!!! Talk to you sooN!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Old 01-07-2003, 12:44 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (Mike69)

Thanks Mike....i spoke with Chris NJ C5 on the phone earlier tonight. I wanted him, or you guys(LoL...scarey thought) to install my torque converter and shift kit into my dakota r/t. Unfortunately he said he doesnt play with tranny's much. It was a damn good excuse to get me out there but didnt work :D
Ill get out there soon though. If not ill come bug ya at the new house.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:53 AM
WillRace4Food
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice man, I just love that sound and look. I want to do that to mine soon as I finish my formula project and move back to my vette. I am starting to get the itch again.

Off topic. Oliver...did you use to live in Baton Rouge La. about saayyyy...7 or so years ago? I use to race with a guy at State capitol dragway that had a c3 painted like a grand sport and he moved to florida. Is that you. I had the white 76 if it is you. I think I was running mid 13s back then and we were both fighting for the 12s.

Tim
Old 01-07-2003, 01:46 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Thanks Mike....i spoke with Chris NJ C5 on the phone earlier tonight. I wanted him, or you guys(LoL...scarey thought) to install my torque converter and shift kit into my dakota r/t. Unfortunately he said he doesnt play with tranny's much. It was a damn good excuse to get me out there but didnt work :D
Ill get out there soon though. If not ill come bug ya at the new house.
I just sent you mail BTW...

Yeah Chris doesn't like playing with the insides of the new compuer controlled trannies. They really are a PITA... and big $$ if you screw em up!!!! There are alot of guys who do a great job specializing in that stuff... a torque converter is easy enough to do, but I know I'm certianly not familiar with the insides of that tranny!!!!

Come on up anyway... We'll swap out some baffles so you can hear um and see what you like... :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!!

Old 01-07-2003, 08:10 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (WA 2 FST)

You won't miss 5-10 H.P. with the JCL inserts. And not only will you be able to hear, so will your fellow motorists and neighbors. They're still plenty loud, belive me. I have them.
:lol: :lol:
P.S.
Please be responsible with needless excessive noise in the 'vette. It's because of citizen complaints- about super loud fart-can rice-burners--and idiots that ride Harleys with NO mufflers that we've had to beat back 2 legislative attempts at restricting ALL vehicles to stock exhaust systems. And- We nearly lost on the last try. NO ONE wants that.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:14 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

That sounds a lil more accurate to mine in real life. The camera cant handle the dB's i think.
That's what I thought....

Olivier
Old 01-07-2003, 08:17 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!! (WillRace4Food)

Off topic. Oliver...did you use to live in Baton Rouge La. about saayyyy...7 or so years ago? I use to race with a guy at State capitol dragway that had a c3 painted like a grand sport and he moved to florida. Is that you. I had the white 76 if it is you. I think I was running mid 13s back then and we were both fighting for the 12s.

Tim
Well - I live in Florida since I moved to the US (from Austria/Europe) 6 years ago...

Olivier

Quick Reply: Hooker Side-Pipes finally installed...no inserts = HOLY LOUDNESS!!