C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steerage???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 12:10 AM
Scott A
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steerage???

Ok - so I am going to replace my tie rod ends, control valve and steering ram. While I am there - should I go ahead and replace anything else? Does the relay rod go bad? Any other suggestions?

As always - Thanks in advance,
Old 01-06-2003, 01:03 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Steerage??? (Scott A)

Scott,

A Heavy Duty idler arm might be nice. Relay rod shouldn't be a problem unless it was damaged by other components. What is the condition of your Steering Gear Box and Rag Joint? Power steering pump and hoses?

Several vendors have rebuilt steering gear boxes, The rag joints are available new from GM. I think a new rag joint would be better than a rebuild kit.

I presume your other suspension components (A arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar, and sway bar end link bushing, etc) are ok.

Good info in the archives and FAQ on proper adjustment of the the P.S. Control Valve.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Scott A
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Steerage??? (mapman)

Scott,

A Heavy Duty idler arm might be nice. Relay rod shouldn't be a problem unless it was damaged by other components. What is the condition of your Steering Gear Box and Rag Joint? Power steering pump and hoses?

Several vendors have rebuilt steering gear boxes, The rag joints are available new from GM. I think a new rag joint would be better than a rebuild kit.

I presume your other suspension components (A arm bushings, ball joints, sway bar, and sway bar end link bushing, etc) are ok.

Good info in the archives and FAQ on proper adjustment of the the P.S. Control Valve.
Thanks for the info Mapman. Everything else looks pretty good. The previous owner had already replaced the A arm bushings etc. I'm left with the steering components. I have alot of play in the wheel and my control valve is leaking. I have already replaced the pump an hoses. I will go ahead and do the idler arm while I am at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Steerage???

Quick Reply: Steerage???