C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*shift* CLUNK CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 06:28 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default *shift* CLUNK CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER...

...Was the sequence of sounds I heard about an hour ago in my car. I shifted into 4th at 5500 RPM (85 MPH) and heard "CLUNK!" The clunk was followed by much shaking and clattering.

My first thought as I pulled over to the side of the road was "What the!" Then I saw the white smoke coming from under the hood as I shut down very quickly and coasted to a stop. I jumped out and popped the hood to discover coolant EVERYWHERE under the hood...and it was just pouring out of the engine from somewhere.

After a little more looking, I could see the stream of coolant pouring out of the water pump. The engine temperature never went above 180 (normal). I got the car towed back to my place and popped the hood for one last look over everything to figure out what happened.

When I removed the air cleaner there was some interesting evidence where the PCV breather hose connects to the air cleaner base...a big goop of what looked like gorilla snot and anti-freeze.

So, current analysis? Blown water pump and blown head gaskets. I hope there's no more damage, but I won't know until this weekend. Now I need to figure out how I'm getting to and from work...

:cry :sad:
Old 01-05-2003, 06:35 PM
My69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: *shift* CLUNK CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER... (rainman69)

Man does that stink. I hope it iisnt a head gasket but it sure does sound like it. Good Luck :mad

Mike
Old 01-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: *shift* CLUNK CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER... (rainman69)

That sucks, maybe you can get the car to run on pump gas now ;) Maybe you can just move on base for a little while...

Get notified of new replies

To *shift* CLUNK CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER...

Quick Reply: *shift* CLUNK CLATTER CLATTER CLATTER...