C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-5 ignition and spark plug wires etc......Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 09:03 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LS-5 ignition and spark plug wires etc......Help!

Hey All,

I need a little help! :confused:

After several sets of plug wires mail order from jegs and summit, I have yet to find a set that REALLY fits and looks good. The MSD look OK, but have an angle on the plug end which is no good in stock LS-5 form. Any suggestions?
I want a good wire..

What about a replacement coil, I just installed a "flamethrower"? but someone has now come back and said it won't last on the 'vette :confused:

Also the plug wire never came with a good Dist to coil wire that fits! :mad

Any ideas on plugs? The car had AC Delco R43's I think they are for a 350 I got them out and now it runs alot better

Anyhow a little help would be great! :cheers:

Regards,

Carbster09 :)
Old 01-04-2003, 09:23 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LS-5 ignition and spark plug wires etc......Help! (carbster09)

The only wires I'm ever happy with are ones that I cut myself and order the correct angle on the ends that you need, I run 45's on mine. Making your own wires is ofen a pain especially if you haven't done it before but you can route them the way you want and I think the finished product is worth the effort. I personally run Taylor Spiro Pro's. Plugs are often a preference thing, I personally run NGK's, since they did well back in my nitrous days and seem to do well on my Rat. My only recomendation would be to stay away from any gimmick or anything platinum. A lot of people on here like the rapidfires, I personally haven't tried them so I can't give you any feedback there. I have a Mallory coil on mine, been fine so far, I wouldn't worry about your coil yet, I haven't seen a whole lot of failures on here, but I may not of paid attention either.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-05-2003, 01:15 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Pat,

Thanks for the feedback. I really like your vette, mine is Ontario Orange. I still have the 3:08 out back and it really needs something more like your 3:55 or at least a 3:36.

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-05-2003, 09:42 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

I tried many brands of wires and all burned and started arcing after a short time (I have headers). finally a guy on another forum told me to try borg warner select. I was very impressed with the borg warners. The quality is way above accell and the others I tried. sofar (6 months) they have been great. Pretty inexpensive too at $45. I got them at pep boys.

BTW, they are spiral core which is supposed to be the best for street use.

Old 01-05-2003, 10:37 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: LS-5 ignition and spark plug wires etc......Help! (zwede)

I have AC Delco "bigblock" wires, a little pricey at $75. They are steel braided and have the grounding piece that goes under the valve cover bolts, so they look like the original bigblock wires, or maybe I should say they look almost exactly like the repro wires except they don't have the dates on them. :)

I also have a flamethrower coil. I put it in when I switched to pertronix. I switched back to points but left the coil alone and it seems to be working fine.

Plugs? been using the modern AC Delco replacement for the original recommended plug - cant remember the exact number. Have also experimented with one hotter or colder (also cant remember), but didnt seem to make a difference. MJ

If you go to the restoration store, ZIP carries them:

"Current production AC wires. Braided. "

"67-74 Spark plug wires, 427/454" ZIP-IS-218$89.95

i (ahem, cough cough) paid a bit less! :)

[Modified by MNJack, 10:48 AM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 12:34 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Pat,

Thanks for the feedback. I really like your vette, mine is Ontario Orange. I still have the 3:08 out back and it really needs something more like your 3:55 or at least a 3:36.

Thanks

Chris
Hey Chris,

we need some pics, I like Ontario Orange myself :yesnod: I had a set of 3.36's, but they went kaboom along with my posi unit last year, ouch that was expensive. Funny how I never broke anything till I put on the sticky tires :lol: . I thought I had 3.08's becouse I didn't realize I had an M-21 so it felt like an M-20 with 3.08's off the line, later I checked the numbers and it was an M-21 with 3.36's. The M-21 with 3.36's was OK, but since I had to rebuild the rear end anyway might as well go with the 3.55's since It wouldn't cost me anymore, I get a tad bit better acceleration and my rpm is a tad higher on the highway but it's a good compromise. On the subject of wires, a great wire for the price are the Summit Spiral core wires, I think they are less the 40 bucks for a universal set. I had straight boots with these back when I still had the exhaust manifolds and they fit great, they wouldn't clear the headers so I gave them to a buddy which they now reside on a 65 289 mustang :lol: albeit some wires had to be shortened for his application.

Pat Kunz
Old 01-05-2003, 04:35 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

All,

Forgive me as I am a novice, but how can you post pictures to this?

Thanks for the advice on wires, going to have a look at pep boys...

Carbster
Old 01-06-2003, 12:50 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

All,

Forgive me as I am a novice, but how can you post pictures to this?

Thanks for the advice on wires, going to have a look at pep boys...

Carbster
To post a picture on here, the picture first has to be hosted somewhere on the internet. For example I don't have my own website but Ferl73 does, so he was nice enough to host my pics for me (thanks Pete). You then use the address of your picture on that site along with some code (directions are on this site somewhere) to post the picture, most of us put it into or signature at the bottom of our posts. I'd host for you if I had a site, but since I don't you may want and see if someone will for you. Hopefully someone will chime on here and volanteer.

Pat Kunz
Old 01-06-2003, 11:54 PM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

i'm happy with the Talyor 8mm spiro-pro. cut the length myself. straight boot on spark plug, 90deg on dist cap. lots of color available, but black looks good to me.

[Modified by Turbo-Jet, 8:55 PM 1/6/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To LS-5 ignition and spark plug wires etc......Help!

Quick Reply: LS-5 ignition and spark plug wires etc......Help!