C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 08:23 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged...

It was a beautiful day today in Miami Beach.. and I took the 80' Duntov and drove with my girlfriend towards our favorite Restaurant... We got to a drawbridge which was closed.. so I had to stop.. When the drawbridge opened again - when I hit the gas - the engine flooded and died... I immediately turned on the emergency flasher and tried to start the car again.. with no success.. The car was in a clearly visible location with the flashers on.. but one of the drivers - with a Chevy Pickup truck - noticed me too late and tried to avoid the crash.. but he was way to fast.. He hit me on the rear left corner.. Where the big fender and the tire was - there's now just a big hole... The wheel assembly was comressed to a fraction of it's original size :eek: :eek:... Well - luckily -neither me and my girlfriend - nor the other driver were injured... but the Duntov is very likely a total loss... The guy from the Pickup truck came over immediately to check if we were ok.... He knew that it was his fault.. He said that another vehicle distracted him... Well - later the police arrived and made a report of the crash.. They issued a "Reckless Driving" ticket to the other guy and called tow trucks.... On Monday I have to call my insurance so that they can file the claim with the other guys insurance.. Luckily - they other guy has a good insurance... Thanks god!!

:cheers:

Olivier

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 8:25 PM 1/4/2003]

[Modified by GrandSportC3, 8:25 PM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 08:31 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (GrandSportC3)

That is terrible! really sux... I feel bad for you, sorry to hear about any accident. Fortunately noone was hurt and the other guys insurance should take care of the the Duntov.... the ultra rare, $45k Duntov.... MJ
Old 01-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (GrandSportC3)

Glad your OK, atleast you still have the 68 to drive while the Duntov is being fixed.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:39 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (MNJack)

That is terrible! really sux... I feel bad for you, sorry to hear about any accident. Fortunately noone was hurt and the other guys insurance should take care of the the Duntov.... the ultra rare, $45k Duntov.... MJ
I would be happy if I can recover my investment... So far I have $20k in the car.. and that's what I insured it for..... However - the actual value of the car is much higher (even though difficult to sell for in the current market)

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Sorry to hear of this! Total loss? I hope not....
Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (Ryan77)

Glad your OK, atleast you still have the 68 to drive while the Duntov is being fixed.
I expect the Duntov to be a total loss.. Even if it isn't - I will probably get the money from the insurance and sell the wreck... I was planning to sell her anyway...

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 08:47 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh man i feel your loss,that sucks big time,ive always liked that car ,i hope everything works out for you. :sad:
Old 01-04-2003, 08:48 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (paul79)

Sorry to hear of this! Total loss? I hope not....
I think that if the damage exceeds 30% of the cars value - it will be totaled - even if it's salvagable...

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 08:50 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (patsnitrovette)

Oh man i feel your loss,that sucks big time,ive always liked that car ,i hope everything works out for you. :sad:
Well - even if the car is not a total loss - I will very likely sell the wreck and don't fix it... I was planning to sell the car anyway...

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 08:51 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Sorry to hear this Oliver but very glad to hear you and your girlfriend are ok. I know you wanted to get rid of the 80 but Not this way. Keep me posted on what you are going to do with the car. You know me I am interested.
Good luck with the insurance company. I hope you you get what you want out of this.

Bob
Old 01-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry man that sux...it really does but if they pay you what the car was worth, its not all bad, except for the car it self. What a loss!

Paul :cheers:
Old 01-04-2003, 08:53 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (76 Red)

Sorry to hear this Oliver but very glad to hear you and your girlfriend are ok. I know you wanted to get rid of the 80 but Not this way. Keep me posted on what you are going to do with the car. You know me I am interested.
Good luck with the insurance company. I hope you you get what you want out of this.

Bob
I would have wished that the Duntov would have found a good new home and not an accident.. It's very sad because there were only 32 of them.. and I don't know how many of those are actually left... The car is after all a piece of Corvette History...

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 08:55 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Well - even if the car is not a total loss - I will very likely sell the wreck and don't fix it... I was planning to sell the car anyway...
Sometimes good can come out of bad, thank god the two of you were not hurt, btw I would make sure your asking price is deleted from your homepage etc. or update it to $30+
Old 01-04-2003, 08:55 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (Darkness)

I'm sorry man that sux...it really does but if they pay you what the car was worth, its not all bad, except for the car it self. What a loss!

Paul :cheers:
Well - I don't expect that I will receive the full value.. The car is probably worth around $30k... I'm happy if I get my $20k... Will see what is going to happen...

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 08:56 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

well, I hope it doesn't get scrapped
Old 01-04-2003, 08:57 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (gdh)

Sometimes good can come out of bad, thank god the two of you were not hurt, btw I would make sure your asking price is deleted from your homepage etc. or update it to $30+
Well - right now - I can't sell the car anyway.. I have to wait to hear from the insurance.. If they don't total the car - I might just get the money for the estimated repair and sell the wreck... Don't know yet.. First I want to hear from the insurance companies...

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 08:58 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Hey Oliver take a look at my web page. If you have the will it can be done. I know you do not have a place to do it though. Have you got any pics of the damage??
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged...

Old 01-04-2003, 09:01 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (garagedweller2)

well, I hope it doesn't get scrapped
Well - if the car gets declard a total loss by the insurance companies - they are going to pay me the value of the car and they will stay with the car and auction it.. It will very likely end up with a dealer specialized in fixing up total loss cars...

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 09:03 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged... (76 Red)

Hey Oliver take a look at my web page. If you have the will it can be done. I know you do not have a place to do it though. Have you got any pics of the damage??
Bob
I have no pics so far.. I didn't have my digital camera with me.. I will probably drive to the inbound on monday to shoot some pics... The car was hit really hard and I think that the frame has been bent.. but I don't know..

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 09:04 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oliver sorry to hear 'bout it of course. But look at the good side: It's gonna be a TERRIFIC year! It started off badly but it's bound to get better!

Seriously the thing to remember though, is that you all are OK. An old expression comes to mind:

"If if can be replaced with money, then it's just a temporary item that doesn't mean much in the long term!

Health and such can't be replaced with any amount of money. A Corvette can (even a Duntov!)

Quick Reply: Got in an accident.... My 80' Duntov was severely damaged...