C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Shop Monday

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Shop Monday

This Monday ties the final ribbon around the (partial) restoration with a visit to the muffler shop. Still haven't made up my mind though (normal), so y'all decide for me. It'll be Flowmaster 40's that the shop has, or one of the two pictured (Ultraflow Race Magnum Welded, or the one on the left that I've been running, which is a no-name 9" single chamber with large grunt factor). The sound clips I've been hearing from the Ultraflows is a tad too quiet for me.. too bad since I like the flow numbers. That little single chamber can't be real bad since you can see through that one (partially) as well. I'd really like for them to hook each up for a test, but I want to be able to return them if they're not for me.

Old 01-04-2003, 08:17 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Muffler Shop Monday (Chris81)

Have you asked the shop what mufflers they carry?

Mine had Flowmaster & Magnaflow and let me listen to each before deciding.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I really, really recommend the Ultra Flows. They have a good classic sound that can't be beat, and they really are a lot louder in person than what you hear in the clips. They sound mean.

-Steve
Old 01-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Muffler Shop Monday (Pacin'California)

I really, really recommend the Ultra Flows. They have a good classic sound that can't be beat, and they really are a lot louder in person than what you hear in the clips. They sound mean.

-Steve
That's good info. I've been reading where they sound like a stock muffler at idle. Not so?
Old 01-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I can't remember what they sound like at idle, but as soon as the throttle is depressed they sound pretty mean. I guess they are civilized at idle. I have three clips with Ultra Flos on my computer, two of tsw71's 355 solid lifter (cam's in the 230 duration range w/ 110 lobe sep), and Les's 69 427 big block(don't know the specs). If you want, I can email them to you or send you a link via IM to my personal server.

-Steve
*edit* What I can remember from going to Laguna seca in Tom(tsw71)'s vette, is that the ultraflows were reasonably quiet until you gave throttle. They definitely aren't as loud as the noisemasters I've heard, but I think they have a much more serious sound. (opinion) When he was idling around and revved up to slip the clutch, I noted that just that little rev sounded pretty damn menacing.

[Modified by Pacin'California, 12:07 PM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 03:12 PM
gravismaximus
Racer

i just put true dual 3 inch on my 81 using dynomax super turbo mufflers, they make it a lot quiter, untill you put on the gas, then they sound like your at the strip lisiting to a top fule doing a burn out. so i lost the deep sound at idel, like i had with the stock exhaust but that race car sound when i put on te gas is more than worth it. so i guess what im trying to say is if you want a loud exhaust at idel, dont go with the dynomax. :seeya
Old 01-05-2003, 03:12 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, what HE said! :iagree:

With my old engine I had Magnaflow mufflers and I got the urge to swap them out when I did the stroker motor and the headers. Using the Ultraflows and the headers, my car sounds completely different! :cool: In fact, I'm gonna soak up some sunshine right now after pulling those T tops off. :cool: :D

Only thing I don't like is the low rpm resonence ~ 30-35 mph. When my foot gets heavy though, and the engine comes up on the cam, WATCH OUT! The car really gets a lot of attention.... and I love the sound too! :flag
Old 01-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Muffler Shop Monday (SanDiegoPaul)

Hey Paul, are you running a crossover?

I get tons of resonance at ~1500 rpm in my car.

-Steve
Old 01-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Muffler Shop Monday (Pacin'California)

"menacing", "tons of resonance", "serious sound"... Yeah, baby... :cheers:

"aren't as loud as the noisemasters"... Bummer :lol:

Since my wifes cruises with me most of the time, I asked her for her opinion. Gee, can you guess? :lol:

Please send the clips. Tnx!!

chris81@nc.rr.com
Old 01-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

8:30 appointment went well... until I cranked the car up. Sounded like my wife's Buick! VERY quiet at idle, probably about what a stock setup sounds like. Took it for a spin around town and on the highway, and one thing I can say - the radio never sounded louder.... I could tell a nice difference in the power with the new headers and cat, but unless I nailed it.... nothing. Perhaps a little drone in the 2k range, but certainly no grunt factor at any time. I think the guys at the shop were a little surprised as well.

1:30 - Have another appointment at the muffler shop - to replace the Ultraflows with the single chamber mufflers I was running before.

Oh well, it was an interesting experiment, but I guess we all know that this muffler/noise thing is really a personal taste preference. I will say, though, that the trip to the shop with open headers was absolutely LOUD!! :smash:

I hope all you guys have local shops that do as good a job as these guys. The welds are amazing, and they spent lots of extra time aligning and adjusting things. Very cool. :cheers:

I'll take some sounds clip before I head out again, and more with the other mufflers when I get back. :cool:
Old 01-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

Here's a link to some shots of the tips. I'll take shots of the whole system when there's better lighting. I like the look, but don't know what that short 's' bend is doing for the flow just so I could have some visible tips.....
http://www.c3vettes.com/chris_81_6.html
Old 01-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Flowmaster 40's is the way to fly
Old 01-08-2003, 01:29 PM
CHEESERAL
Racer

Default Re: Muffler Shop Monday (Alwyn678)

Hey Chris, good to see you're back on the road. You know me 40's all the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Muffler Shop Monday

Quick Reply: Muffler Shop Monday