C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vintage plates? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Yellow79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vintage plates? wtf?

ok i understand the concept of the vintage plates and how you dont have to go through emissions once your car is deemed "vintage" enough for them. luckily, i live in a state without emissions testing (WY0) however i may be moving in the future... could be 6 months, could be 24. anyway, what are the guidelines for the vintage plates? how old does the car have to be for the vintage status? thanks again! :chevy
Old 01-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (Yellow79)

In NJ it is 25 years or older. Each state has different laws for vintage or classic cars.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:14 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

In Illinois- 25 years or older cars qualify for antique status. Plates good for 5 years, all expire 12/31/04. Renew again for 5 years :D
Old 01-04-2003, 03:00 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (BlueL36)

In Michigan when I did mine it was 25 years- non-expiring for $35. Good until I sell the car. I don’t know what would happen if I moved to another state.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:05 PM
PaceCarTN
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

Antique plates cost less but are usually not a good deal unless you NEVER use for vehicle for general transportation.

Illinois:
“The vehicle may be driven ONLY to and from an antique car show or exhibition, service station or demonstration.”

Tennessee:
“A motor vehicle registered as an antique solely as a collector's item can only be used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses; but, in no event shall the vehicle be used for general transportation.”

Antique insurance policies are very cheap, but usually have the same stipulations.
I have had “Collector Car” policies that limit the amount of miles I can drive, but don’t limit when or where.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:04 PM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf?

In california its 30years so i gotta wait till 2008 not to get it smoged anymore
Old 01-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (HcDave1)

In Wisconsin, the car must be stock, cannot be altered or modified (don't know the exact definition of this, like whether wheels count). It must be 25 years old, and you must have another car licensed. You pay a one-time license fee of $140 for as long as you own the car. The only other restriction is that you cannot drive the car in January. Just January, no other month is restricted....

Brian
Old 01-04-2003, 08:38 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (Bacchus)

CT has "Early American" plates for over 25 years. No emissions, renew yearly, one-time $6 fee, no restrictions. And they give you a break on property tax. Joe
Old 01-05-2003, 07:20 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Ohio is $22 and good for 50 years :steering:
Old 01-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Yellow79
Instructor

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (guppie)

dang! sounds like a good deal in connecticut and ohio! i do use it for pleasure driving and on occasion to a restauraunt or a quick stop to a store... the main idea was the avoiding emissions deal. any other way that you can avoid emissions if i dont meet the plate requirements? :confused:
Old 01-05-2003, 08:26 PM
PaceCarTN
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03

dang! sounds like a good deal in connecticut and ohio! i do use it for pleasure driving and on occasion to a restauraunt or a quick stop to a store... the main idea was the avoiding emissions deal. any other way that you can avoid emissions if i dont meet the plate requirements? :confused:
What State? :confused:
Old 01-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (Bacchus)

In Wisconsin, the car must be stock, cannot be altered or modified (don't know the exact definition of this, like whether wheels count). It must be 25 years old, and you must have another car licensed. You pay a one-time license fee of $140 for as long as you own the car. The only other restriction is that you cannot drive the car in January. Just January, no other month is restricted....
Sorry, but it is 20 years. If your car is modified you can get Hobbyist plates, otherwise everything else is the same. I have Hobbyist plates because I didn't care about the stock restriction for Collector, even though I've seen plenty of blown/modified cars with Collector plates.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Perfomer
Instructor

In alabama the vehicle must be 30yrs young. can not be used for dailey trans. or shopping . The vehicle can be driven out of state and any time for pleasure driving. The tag does not expire but does not go with the car if it sold. I have three vintage vehicles 69 Corvette, 66 Pontiac GTO and 49 Pro Street Truck .
Old 01-05-2003, 11:02 PM
L48Shark
Burning Brakes

Location: If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a veteran.
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

In Arkansas, the vehicle must be 25+ years old for antique tags. The good news is that they are under $10 and never expire! :eek: On the down side, it is not supposed to be a primary vehicle, modifed, or driven too much, etc., etc. But they do not even ask about it and you do not have to sign an affidavit of any kind, so it's pretty much anything goes. Case in point, I saw a Chevy "Northmad" (Nomad with a Caddy Northstar ;)) at cruise night that was totally custom and not only did it have an antique tag, but it was handpainted to match the car. :crazy:
Old 01-06-2003, 12:07 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (L48Shark)

Minnesota its 20 years and the only stipulation is you need to have a second vehicle that is registered and insured for your "daily" driver.

1 time lifetime registration fee also of $90 and a $25 license plate fee.

Just did my 82 this summer to collector plate.

Other than that there are no conditions placed onto the car.:cheers:

Brent...
Old 01-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Yellow79
Instructor

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (MN-Brent)

wow good deal. as far as states either cali or nevada unless future plans change for some odd, sudden reason. of course that never happens :lol:
Old 01-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: vintage plates? wtf? (PaceCarTN)

What State? :confused:
Much of NC, much of AZ to start.

Get notified of new replies

To vintage plates? wtf?

Quick Reply: vintage plates? wtf?