C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible wind/rain/noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 10:08 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default convertible wind/rain/noise

OK, when flying over say 35 mph in the rain...top up natch, I find the rain water from windshield seems to land on lower edge of side windows, then get caught by air currents, droplets forced up the side window....to the top gasket area...then the water is coming into the car, landing on my shirt sleeve from the break between the two top weatherstrip pieces.....otherwise it only leaks if hit with a hose spray.....

SO anybody notice this wind/water pattern, and/or have a CURE for that occurance...otherwise my car is dry in the rain.....

another thing....the wind noise at freeway speeds...say 40 mph up...is so loud I can't talk/hear......any known cures for that???

GENE :cry :cry :cry
Old 01-04-2003, 10:59 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: convertible wind/rain/noise (mrvette)

I've had many convertibles during my life (not only Corvettes)... but all of them would leak.. in very heavy rain...

:cheers:

Olivier
Old 01-04-2003, 11:28 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: convertible wind/rain/noise (GrandSportC3)

GSc3, yeh, I hear you, I cured this car of all the leaks....in super heavy rain..well time to slow down anyway....the only last pesky place is that up and over the side window thing.....with wind over 40 mph or so....

it is a weird funny pattern to watch the raindrops start at the lower front edge of the window...and air circulation forces them across the glass to form a wind blown bead right along the top edge/glass then up and over into the car.....mostly it's water from the windshield.....

there has to be some aero type cure for this...was wondering what if anything anybody found out.....

GENE
Old 01-04-2003, 01:14 PM
2nspire
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cure is side exhaust and a loud stereo. :D
Old 01-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I know where the noise is coming in for my car, but I've never been able to figure out what's missing from the weatherstripping to cause it. Sitting in my car I can see light from the outside coming in where the back edge of the top of the door meets the top, right at the window interface.
I was able to cure the water leaks coming in my windows with some small "D" shaped hollow weather stripping. It is 5/16"ths wide and 1/8"th thick, with a hollow core. It has a self adhesive back, and will stick to other rubber weather stripping. I bought it from some guy on EBay a couple of years ago and it has been great for sealing up around windows and the back of the top seal.
I've never seen it anyplace else and the guy was advertising it as the stuff that cured his Corvette wind/water leaks. It fixed mine, except for that one place where I think a MAJOR piece of weatherstripping is missing.
He might still be selling the stuff through Ebay, if you can find it, it is worth it. This stuff is rubber, not foam or plastic, so it should last a long time.

Get notified of new replies

To convertible wind/rain/noise

Quick Reply: convertible wind/rain/noise