C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underhood Quiz: Do I Need It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 07:23 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underhood Quiz: Do I Need It?

Studied my underhood area today and noticed a lot of extra junk laying around. Would like to clean up/streamline...

Do I Need It?:

1. A/C drive belt? A/C in a vert is pretty much useless here in FLA. Belt doesn't seem to drive anything else but the compressor...

2. Heater hose (feed & return). Can a "jumper" hose be connected straight from pump to manifold? Heater is pretty much useless here in FLA.

3. "Deely-bobber" sticking out of thermostat housing? Looks like some sort of sending unit (it's not water temp). Has two right-angle vacuum hose-type(?) fittings that aren't connected to nuthin...would like to install a plain/smooth chrome (or painted) thermostat housing.

4. Vapor Recovery Tank/hoses? No smog laws here in FLA. Smells like gas. Do I remove & cap what's left?

5. Mushroom-looking thing, bolted to right-side (mid) intake manifold (as seated in car). Has one vacuum hose-looking fitting pointing forward, not connected. What is used to cover hole in manifold once this is (hopefully) removed?

Note: Car is currently running perfect.

Thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

[Modified by 74FLCONV, 7:24 PM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 07:30 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Underhood Quiz: Do I Need It? (74FLCONV)

1. No you don't need it if you aren't going to run A/C
2. You can buy rubber caps at parts stores that are held on by hose clamps, no need for a jumper hose then.
3. I think that's part of your apparently not working emissions system, called a the TCS system. Replace it with a regular manifold connection, but don't throw it away, you never know what's coming over the horizon from the pollution police.
4. I guess so, but if it's hooked up and working why bother.
5. I have no idea what part you are talking about, but if nothing is hooked to it, then apparently it isn't doing anything useful.

[Modified by Smokehouse69, 6:31 PM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 07:47 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Underhood Quiz: Do I Need It? (74FLCONV)

#5 is the EGR valve. You could take it off but it's currently blocking a big hole in you intake manifold.... There is some argument to be made that your car will run better with it.

IMHO, Change to a non-egr intake and get performance and lose the hole in one move...
Old 01-04-2003, 02:11 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: Underhood Quiz: Do I Need It? (72rdstr)

#5 EGR. Several sources for EGR cover. One source - GM Performance Parts PN# 6269414, gasket is PN# 10140594.

#3 The "Deely-bobber" sticking out of thermostat housing, I believe, is the Thermal Vacuum Switch (TVS) for the EGR. If you remove the EGR, then there is no need for the TVS. Carb / TVS / EGR are connected by vacuum lines.

"The EGR system meters exhaust gas into the intake manifold for recirculation through the combustion cycle to reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions. (Corvette Shop Manual)". The EGR valve is controlled by a ported vacuum connection to the carburator. This keeps the EGR from working when the engine is at idle or under deceleration.

The Thermal Vacuum Switch, on the thermostat housing, keeps the EGR from working when the engine is below normal operating temperature (195 F).

I would hang on to any of this stuff you remove - never know when you may need it again.

Get notified of new replies

To Underhood Quiz: Do I Need It?

Quick Reply: Underhood Quiz: Do I Need It?