C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine removal with auto tranny

Old 01-02-2003, 11:32 PM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine removal with auto tranny

Ready to pull the motor on my 75 and wondering if I can pull it with auto trans atttached. I have the radiator out and looks like there should be enough room to move forward. Any insight is appreciated!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Engine removal with auto tranny (Bobbyg75)

I think it's a PIA to do it that way....the balance point on engine is way off making fluid draining guaranteed, and much less then the vertical clearance with that tail hanging down, and the horizontal clearance forward....it's just not worth the hassle....

GENE
Old 01-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Tshort pulled his engine/tranny a couple of weekends ago and has some pix on his site. I would suggest you use an engine leveler with the hoist so that you can shift the angle of the engine when needed while pulling it. One can be bought at most local parts stores for about $40.00. You can pull it all at once with the radiator removed. It would be in your best interests to remove the waterpump and all pulleys on the front to help out with room.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:40 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: Engine removal with auto tranny (bgrice)

... I would suggest you use an engine leveler with the hoist so that you can shift the angle of the engine when needed while pulling it. ...
:iagree:

I pulled the engine/Autotrans on my 1980 as a unit. I had removed the hood, radiator, radiator support bracket (badly rusted), and the AC condensor. Drained the engine oil and tranmission fluid. To catch any remaining transmission oil, I afixed a plastic bag around the transmission propeller shaft end once it cleared the prop shaft.

This was the first time I had pulled an engine, but my neighbors (lots of "car guys") helped. I removed carb, distributor, and exhaust manifolds to give myself more room - I am sure an experienced mechanic would not have to remove as much stuff as I did.

My lift did not have enough reach to remove the engine from the front, so I removed it with the lift on the passenger's side. I removed the passenger's side front wheel and supported the frame with a jack stand. Removing the front wheel allows you to maneuver the lift without obstruction.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Engine removal with auto tranny (mapman)

when i pulled mine in 00, i took the tranny with it, not too bad. stripped the front of the motor, pulled the distributor and exhaust manifolds, radiator, pulleys and pump, removed the hood, all fluids. lifted mine over the front, i have that much garage room in the front. the key was using an engine hoist with a long "boom" and not getting the car so high in the air that the engine/tranny combo would not clear the front fender area once up in the air. i borrowed a hoist a friend of mine bought at Sam's a few years ago, basically a 3 piece unit with an adjustable boom. i put a little floor jack w/wheels with a board under the tranny, so it would roll forward once everything started moving. i did not use a load leveler but i think i would if i was you. i remember that once i got clear of the motor mounts the engine wanted to come forward, i remember holding it back with one hand and pumping the jack handle with the other hand. i did this by myself and did not have any problems, but have a friend there when you do this. i didn't have any problems because i'm 6'6" and have i long reach. also if the hoist your using is on wheels, get into position and lock the wheels or chock them, so the hoist can't move into the body. i also covered the front with old blankets and then a piece of plastic. good luck.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:56 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Engine removal with auto tranny (Gary79)

Ive pulled my motor twice in the last 2 years leaving the trans in the car. I would strip everything off the motor either way.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:27 PM
HWY 9 - Z06
Advanced

sounds like it can be done from the other posts, let us know how it works, cause i'm getting ready to do the same in my '69, and am still undecided whether to separate the motor and tranny or try to pull it as a unit.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Engine removal with auto tranny (HWY 9 - '69)

I pulled a 350 and th400 together out of my 71. I also installed a 502 with a 700r4 together in it's place. I do have the load leveler, but the real trick is having a long enough boom to handle it. $40 bucks for a wrecker is the best engine handler money can buy..... okay RENT. :yesnod:

Good luck,
Dave
Old 01-03-2003, 10:34 PM
dogr74
Advanced

Bobby,
Your call... I'm in either way. See you this weekend.
Gary :cheers:
Old 01-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

Default Re: Engine removal with auto tranny (bgrice)

Tshort pulled his engine/tranny a couple of weekends ago and has some pix on his site.
Tshort has some nice pics but he also has a 4speed tranny. I think I'll try removing engine/trans as an assembly as I do have enough room to pull from the front. And with Dogr74's help anything is possible! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the insight.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine removal with auto tranny

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine removal with auto tranny