C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any 8 track guru's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 09:55 PM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any 8 track guru's out there?

my 8 track player sounds like alvin and the chipmunks when i have a tape in. i have tried several tapes, all with the same results. also, the AM doesn't work, but the FM is fine. any ideas? thanks!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:16 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Default Re: any 8 track guru's out there? (SizzleChest)

Well, I havn't worked on one of those for 25 years but here goes:

Chances are the problem is mechanical and not electrical. Sounds like the capstan diameter has changed (dirt or tape buildup) which will cause the tape to move at a faster speed between the capstan and the pinch roller. Since the capstan spins at a specific RPM, a larger diameter will cause the tape to move past the playback head at an increased inch-per-second rate. Sometimes the pinch roller rubber has deteriated to a point that it is being deposited onto the capstan thus increasing the diameter of the capstan. Also look for buildup on the motor pulley or flywheel that drives the capstan which also can affect capstan rotational speed.

Hope this helps - let me know what you find.

[Modified by VetteNut72, 8:28 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 11:25 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

SizzleChest,

Isn't this post supposed to be on the C5 forum?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The glove box in my 1980 came with a rack for holding 8 Track Tapes. I had planned to trash it - Maybe I should put it on ebay ....... :D
Old 01-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: any 8 track guru's out there? (mapman)

it's been years, thank God technology moved past the 8 tracks, cuz they sucked. try holding the tape door open and clean everything you see with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol, preferably isopropanol. let it dry, try playing a tape. i also remember we always carried books of matches to wedge under, over or on the side of the tape to get them to play. this was a major PITA. in fact, most of the time we were cruising the gravelies, we listened to KAAY(am radio) out of Little Rock, AR, called Beeker Street followed by Beeker theatre. we could usually pick it up after 11 pm at nite, on a clear nite or a night with cloud cover but no storms. we also became experts at bending coat hangers and attaching them to our AM antennae's to increase reception. we did this from the late 60's to almost the mid-70's. BTW, i'm 50 and an old hippie, peace. if you get it working, just hope it doesn't get stuck on one channel, i think at that point is when we used to pull'em and chuck'em in the ditch.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:07 PM
Martin72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: any 8 track guru's out there? (Gary79)

I'll be danged....someone else remembers KAAY -- Little Rock. Drove many of mile at night listening to Beeker Street....Expecially loved DOA....

Awww the fond memories of AM radio....coat hanger extensions....even used aluminum foil to try to boost the reception.

Still have 8 old 8-tracks in a carring case that I had back then......
Old 01-03-2003, 02:33 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: any 8 track guru's out there? (Martin72)

Gee, it's been years and years since I last heard the letters KAAY!
Used to listen late at night as a kid as well, great memories! By the way, I'm guilty of still being in the possesion of about a dozen 8 track tapes myself.
Still have a workable 8 track player for my sterio in the house too.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:48 PM
GR8T WYT
Instructor

Most of these units used a drive belt, some had one others had two, over time they stretch, get brittle or if the unit has sat up for long time they can become deformed from non-use. A good electronics supply house can usually get you a new one, take your old belt in so they can match it up for size. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the same trouble with my 8 trrack. F M OK, AM in op and the sound in the 8 track is bad. Replaced the belt with correct size no luck.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:52 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

A loose belt will not cause the tape speed to increase. Diameter changes in pullys and capstans will. While you are in there, changing the drive belt is not a bad idea considering the ages of these units but a bad drive belt will not cause increased tape speed. However, if it has broken down and deposited rubber on the drive motor pulley then that would be the case.

Old 01-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Hershey
Racer

Default Re: any 8 track guru's out there? (Gary79)

Looks like this thread turned into memory lane for oldtimers. I think I could beat ya'll on the long distant award. I lived in south Florida and on my old Studebaker tube radio I could not only pick up KAAY in LIttlerock, but also WSB in Chicago. And while I don't remember the call letters of the station,I sometimes could pick up Wolfman in Texas.And of course there was the BIG APE (WAPE) in Jachsonville, FLA. Nowdays, if you travel 50 miles you can't pick up whatever station you were listening to. I still like my 8 tracks ( got one in my shop) Hershey :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To any 8 track guru's out there?

Quick Reply: any 8 track guru's out there?