C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More on C3 Perf/Tech forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:53 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default More on C3 Perf/Tech forum.

I just checked and saw that there have been a total of 3 posts to the Breathless Performance Community, why don't the mods make this a subforum of the C3 forum and rename it C3 Performance. The server space has already been setup for this and bandwidth allocated to it, just a suggestion and it maybe easier sell than setting up and allocating space and bandwidth to a totally new forum. :confused:
Old 01-02-2003, 06:17 PM
theanswriz42
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08, '15

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (gdh)

I think we had a poll about this last week :yesnod:
Old 01-02-2003, 06:28 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (theanswriz42)

you are right but nothing was resolved. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 01-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Yeah, but that was last week. Maybe they didn't get the result they wanted. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-02-2003, 06:46 PM
LakotasRose
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (1970 Stingray)

I think having a C3 modified/tech section would be great!!!

the ''general'' category is just too ''general''.

[Modified by LakotasRose, 6:47 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 06:59 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (LakotasRose)

I think having a C3 modified/tech section would be great!!! the ''general'' category is just too ''general''.
:iagree:
Old 01-02-2003, 07:53 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

With respect, this does go on ad nauseum. By my reading of the current C3 Forum, some 80% or so are performance people. And those like me who are into stock/originality are very much in the minority. Why not let the majority rule? I must say that this balance has changed very much with time but it has changed. So let's go with the flow. The Forum is very much different now as time has passed. So split it into general and technical/performance. I do not have a problem with that. My posts have not generated a lot of interest in the last year so I would be happy to lurk and just listen in to the 1/4 mile people. And I say that honestly.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:24 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (paul79)

.....so I would be happy to lurk and just listen in to the 1/4 mile people. And I say that honestly.
Forgive me Paul, this is not directly aimed at you.........but I don't tend to think of Corvettes as 1/4 mile fiends, as many others here seem to. My interest, and I know Zora's was, is in high speed road-track racing where all the characteristics of a performance vehicle are put to the test:
- cornering
- braking
- vehicle balance
- slip stream
- reliability over many hours of operation (not for 10 - 15 seconds)
- and yes, acceleration

The lure of the Corvette, aside from its obvious beauty, is that it offers a unique blend of all these requirements within a reasonable price level.

Sorry, Paul........now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
:D
Old 01-02-2003, 08:41 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

WIth all due respect, I think there was a resounding resolution:
Leave it alone.

:seeya
Old 01-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It was LAST YEAR!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: We need a new one for this year :D
Old 01-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that this forum should be split, but as long as the majority and these wonderful polls control our destiny it won't happen. It's strange to me that this particular issue is handled by a majority vote, when nothing else around here is.

I think that the people that want a C3 tech section should be allowed to have one, and the people that want to solely stay here should do so without imposing it on others.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (Darkness)

I'm all for a new Tech section. See the other thread concerning this. :cheers:
Old 01-02-2003, 09:28 PM
72rdstr
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmm... 75% for no change. That's a mandate from the people.

I would vote for a "Babes in C3s Performing" section :D :eek: :lol:

Or maybe, "Babes Performing in C3s"

[Modified by 72rdstr, 7:30 PM 1/2/2003] :blueangel: :blueangel:

[Modified by 72rdstr, 7:36 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum.

If we don't get a new forum, I'm selling my C3s and buying a C5! :skep:
Old 01-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (67HEAVEN)

I hear you, and agree entirely, but it seems the 12.4 at 105mph and the like is very popular. Let's do a 260 vrs a 262 cam etc. I rarely see a C3 tire comparison at speed on an nth degree corner at Mosport, vehicle balance, slip stream (is it not fixed?), etc. Mind you these cars are not raced very much anymore. But the 1/4 mile seems to be the objective of about 90% of the C3 performance posts that I have read. I do not recall a C3 road-roacing thread in many moons. And what is ironic is that is what the C3 was developed for. Not drag racing.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:53 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Let's make sure that the Forum is one place in life where 25% of the people can't change everything that the other 75% are comfortable with. The Forum is great just like it is. If you split it up, the quality and availability of information will suffer. What's next, C3/Mods for experts, C3/Mods for beginners, C3/Mods for people that think they know what they are talking about? - We could have a thousand Forums. I like looking at one C3 Forum and getting input from members with every level of expertise. If you are one of those people that join the boyscouts and then want the pledge changed, I think you should create your own Forum where you can custom set it just for you.

Bottom line, The Forum is a free service and I'm sure is no easy task to run and maintain. My hat is off to the people that provide this service and I am more than happy with it just the way it is.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:57 AM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (72rdstr)

Hmmm... 75% for no change. That's a mandate from the people.
The problem with that poll is that it was asking to add a C3 Modified Section:
Select a link to place your vote.

Or "No", let's keep things simple and the way they currently are? (74%, 155 votes)

Should we form a new catagory, "C3 Modified Corvettes"? (25%, 53 votes)
I did not vote because I don't want a "Modified" section. I (and most that I've read that want a split) want a General and Tech split, so I'm not sure how accurate that poll is.

Get notified of new replies

To More on C3 Perf/Tech forum.

Old 01-03-2003, 11:57 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Forgive me Paul, this is not directly aimed at you.........but I don't tend to think of Corvettes as 1/4 mile fiends, as many others here seem to. My interest, and I know Zora's was, is in high speed road-track racing where all the characteristics of a performance vehicle are put to the test:
- cornering
- braking
- vehicle balance
- slip stream
- and yes, acceleration

The lure of the Corvette, aside from its obvious beauty, is that it offers a unique blend of all these requirements within a reasonable price level.

Sorry, Paul........now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
:D
I agree with you as far as SOME Corvettes not being the 1/4 mile screamers that their owners would like them to be. Even after extensive engine transplants and big $$$$ mods, the 1/4 mile times on MOST C3 Vettes are nothing to rave about. However, this does not hold true for ALL C3 Corvettes (and it certainly doesn't hold true of ALL C5s and most C4s...but that's not an issue here). The big block Vettes from 1968-1974 either have the potential to to be made into very respectable strip performers, or already are turning in excellent times. However, the request for the split forum was NOT aimed ONLY at 1/4 mile tech information, as everyone seems to assume. It was requested because people who are more interested in the PERFORMANCE side of the Corvette are tired of sorting through a million posts about "what color should I paint my car" and "does this eBay Vette seem too expensive". I have no problem with reading posts about the list of items you describe...

- cornering
- braking
- vehicle balance
- slip stream
- and yes, acceleration

because all of them are TECHNICAL, PERFORMANCE enhancements. Even the one about reliability over many hours operation concerns me. And I am mainly a drag racer by choice. But searching through endless posts about "where can I get fuzzy dice to match a saddle tan interior" and other such muck takes more time than many of us would like to spend. If we could have one place we could go to where ONLY Technical, Performance-oriented posts were allowed, and that rule was enforced, it would make a LOT of folks happy campers and it might help out those guys who are still struggling with making their Vettes perform at a level they expect from them.

I understand and also enjoy your interest in high speed road racing. I like watching the C5-Rs kick butt on TV too. But the simple fact is the vast majority of guys aren't located anywhere near a track where they could race like that. I won't even suggest they try driving like that on the street :nono:

However, dragstrips are in numerous locations throughout the country. And they can at least measure their engine mods for acceleration there without endangering other motorists or pedestrians.

Hope I got a little of my point across. A tech/modifications section does NOT have to be incompatible with the intent of Zora or other forum members. It would just make it a lot easier for members to find a central location to ask questions and provide answers to a VERY important aspect of the Corvette.

Dep

[Modified by Dep, 11:39 AM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 12:49 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum. (paul79)

I think in an online forum like this its easier to brag/compare 1/4 mile times and the like than it is to discuss the rush you get behind the wheel of a C3 taking a particular turn on the corner of Mission Blvd, etc. I must agree, drag racing, even road racing doesn't interest me too much, but it is interesting to see what other people are doing to their Vettes and to pick and choose what might be interesting to add to my 100% street driven Vette.
As you can tell, I have no qualms with updating my Vette with newer/better technology that is out these days.

So I guess that means my vote is for keeping us all together. :)
-terry
Old 01-03-2003, 01:14 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FWIW, I'm with 67Heaven on this one. I skim the general interest topics and focus on tech/performance. I try to pass on what little I have learned to those just getting into the Vette hobby.
I think you have Zora's interest right - look at the original Gran Sport, the Stingray racer and CERV 1. All performance/endurance road racers.
If you share this interest, check out the Open Road Races in Texas and Nevada.

Quick Reply: More on C3 Perf/Tech forum.