C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Arkansas Flash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member

I have a 78 Pace Car as a lot of you know and I have removed the Warner box and I am getting ready to install a different transmission. I found a new 73 Muncie wide ratio box and had it shipped to Gear Venders so they could install their overdrive on it. This way I have a pretty good low gear, if I need to I can split each gear when racing and not have to use the clutch on the extra gears, and I have an overdrive. I know this unit has been installed in earlier sharks but it hasn't been installed in a later C3 because you have to have a Muncie, a Warner won't work. Anyway, this tranny/overdrive unit is 39.25" long from the scattershield mounting surface to the center of the holes for the drive shaft u-joint. I have been told that the frame cross member on the automatic cars was bolted in and I know the cross member in the 4 speed cars is welded in. First I need someone who has worked on both types of cars to confirm this. Second of all, can I cut mine out and use the automatic cross member that bolts in so the installation of the tranny will be easier? Anybody got an extra cross member lying around their shop? Thanks in advance guys......I can hardly wait to meet those of you who have guided me along in the modification of my car.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:33 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member (Arkansas Flash)

Yes 4 speed cars have welded in x-members vs bolt in on the auto equipped cars.

You can cut out the welded in x-member and use a aftermarket x-member although you may be required to make some modifications to that x-member for it to mount. Forexample the bolt tabs that the factory x-mamber are not on your car and so you will not be able to mount the new member in the intended fashion.

Where is the mount located in relation to the original - there may be issues with the oil pan that is mounted to the GV od unit.

Your best bet may be to have a custom x-member fashioned for your specific application
Old 01-03-2003, 12:21 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member (Arkansas Flash)

John, Please keep us posted on this. I'm interested in doing the same thing to my 71.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member (fauxrs)

You can cut out the welded in x-member and use a aftermarket x-member although you may be required to make some modifications to that x-member for it to mount
Who makes an aftermarket x-member?????

Brett :thumbs:
Old 01-03-2003, 03:20 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member (Brettmc)

Zip restoration store has 'em.
New repros: $329
Reconditioned used: $200

I have one, but I'm hanging on to all extra parts until my two vettes are one.

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member

Quick Reply: Automatic vs.Manual Tranny Frame Cross Member