C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Rust Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:16 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Rust Treatment

Would like to hear comments/suggestions on the following...

My frame is as far as I can tell in pretty good shape. I checked it out while up on a rack several times and by the discriptions here I only have minor surface rust. It does not look nearly as nice as many pics I have seen here however. What is the process to get it cleaned up nicely. What is a good way to clean dirt/grime/rust/etc off of the surface and what should it be coated/painted with. I do not wish this to be frame off resto quality. Just would like it a little nicer than it is. I have purchased a total suspension kit including all bushings from VBP and will be having that installed (by a shop) soon. Would this be a time to have the frame stuff done or does this not make anthing any easier? Again the goal is not the "eat off of it" frames that I have seen on the forum, but just to make it nicer and protect it from future rust. With an new engine, exhaust, and suspension parts the rest is now going to look extra old and dirty.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:25 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Frame Rust Treatment (DollaGreen)

ME, just clean it up best you can outside while all suspensions are off....and make sure to blow it out from available holes with maybe a peice of brake line into an air jet.....that keeps interior clear...make sure all the available holes are free of obstructions/dirt....paint the exterior with spray paints....

I don't know of any other method that's fairly simple and do-able....

much further and IMO...you into naked frame dipping and painting....

GENE
Old 01-02-2003, 05:31 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Frame Rust Treatment (mrvette)

First use a pressure washer to get all the dirt off, then I would spray it with the POR-15 rust treatment both outside and inside the frame then paint as much as you can with the POR-15 frame paint. I will be doing this myself soon, just before I strip and repaint the body.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Gene says, clean it as best you can (wire brush, scrub brush, and
degreaser like Castrol purple stuff). Then pick your best spray paint in
a semi-flat black (I hear Krylon is best match to stock).

Unfortunately, this is good for looks. The more important parts of the frame -
that are surely more rusty than the parts you can see - are the areas that
really require cleanup and painting.

I thought mine looked "not too bad" before lifting the body. After lift off, I
learned how horrible the hidden rot can be. It's never obvious, until it is way too late.

IMO - if you're gonna go with the POR-15, then you should consider lifting the
body. POR-15 on the bottom half of the frame will last much longer than the
spray paint, but you will not be protecting the frame unless you get the whole thing.

Good luck :seeya

[Modified by Daves_rusty_75, 5:38 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 06:15 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

Default Re: Frame Rust Treatment (Daves_rusty_75)

Just out of curiosity...if there is worse hidden damage or if damage were to get worse over time, what happens. I am ignorant in this area...what actually happens if your frame rusts out and is there any way to repair it. Or do you basically have to take all of your good parts off and start from scratch?

Old 01-02-2003, 06:44 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

depends on how extensive and where, man just cut and weld a new piece into the rusted out area if possible.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Rick68
Pro

I have my car oil sprayed on the recommendation of a vette shop I use.He sent it out to another shop that specializes in spraying vettes. :cheers:
Old 01-02-2003, 08:29 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Take a look at my 75 pictures in my website ... NHvette.com they will show you the extent
that the rot can progress, before becoming extremely unsafe.

I knew I had rot issues, but I thought from the underside that the frame would
be repairable. WRONG !! If you catch it soon enough - YES.

Look at my pictures and grab a large screwdriver. If you can stab the
screwdriver through the frame wall in the areas indicated - then you better
get on it fast.

:seeya

[Modified by Daves_rusty_75, 8:29 PM 1/2/2003]
Old 01-02-2003, 09:54 PM
79yellowlt1
Advanced

If yoou are not looking for show, and the frame is solid, I've seen these rust converters in action and they do a really good job. easy to paint over and lasts a long time.
http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...&GEN9=0&T1=RCG
Old 01-02-2003, 11:17 PM
DollaGreen
Pro

I think I see what you are talking about...the most critical area is right in front of the back wheels?

Also...please clarify...are you saying that it can get to the point you show BEFORE getting dangerous or that it is dangerous long before the extent you have.

I have no reason to fear this...but with spending more $$ on the car to fix other things I dont want to find out the thing holding it all together is shot!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:57 PM
mengbar
Instructor

Hey DollaGreen:

You need to take a look at the new Eastwood catalog. A friend of mine just finshed his frame(68 GTO) 8-months ago, and he sandblasted the frame and primed and painted using the Eastwood chassis paint. Dang...it looked better than the frame on my new truck. We put new tail lights in it last weekend and the chassis was still brilliant. I'm definitely going to buy a case of the satin finished chassis black myself. Good stuff.

Don't know what to say about the frame cleaning. It's similar to taking a sponge bath, you wipe a few surfaces but you're still basically funky. If I had a babe like yours, I'd bite the bullet and put the winter to good use and get the frame out of the way. Of course my garage is currently full of tractor restoration...that just had to be done right...heheheh! :jester
Old 01-03-2003, 02:32 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: Frame Rust Treatment (mengbar)

I also use alot of the eastwood stuff.They have a good rust primer called rust encapsulator.It works well.I think the problem youll have is that you need to do this with the suspension removed and to find a shop that will paint all of that before they reinstall everything will not be easy.I would also like to say that when you do this paint all of your new components and blast and paint your reusable items such as a-arms and such.And dont paint everything black.Rough cast parts got cast iron gray ,large stamped metal parts got semi gloss black and small stamped metal parts were left bare.Eastwoods got a good paint that looks like bare metal called detail gray.Backing plates were gold cad plated but a nice gold paint dont look too bad. :seeya
Old 01-03-2003, 01:10 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

I think I see what you are talking about...the most critical area is right in front of the back wheels?

Also...please clarify...are you saying that it can get to the point you show BEFORE getting dangerous or that it is dangerous long before the extent you have.

I have no reason to fear this...but with spending more $$ on the car to fix other things I dont want to find out the thing holding it all together is shot!
I was driving the 75 like that !!! You see it - the way I parked it in the garage,
before body lift. I wish I wasn't driving it like that. I feel that it was very
unsafe. More so was the body rot. The rocker channels were swiss cheese.
No - swiss cheese is much more solid than they were.

Out of the 8 body mounts, I have determined that only two (the #1s) were
actually holding the body to the chassis. :eek: :eek:

I'm thinking that you might be able to take the 8 body mount bolts out, and
lift the body about 3-4 inches (one side at a time) to inspect and paint the
areas that are currently hidden from view (and reach).

Be Careful !!! You just might be opening a big can of worms (I hope not).
But, I guess it's better now than in three or four years.

:seeya
Old 01-03-2003, 01:48 PM
iree75
Instructor

I would pay special attention to the body mounts right in front of the rear wheels. When I decided to replace the rear bumper cover on my 75 with a custom fiberglass cover I spotted the rubber fuel lines were rotted and leaking so I decided to drop the fuel tank and metal cover. Everything looked ok except for the rear body mounts which were rotted. I suspect this happened because the mounts are cupped where they are riveted to the body and look like water would collect there.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame Rust Treatment

Quick Reply: Frame Rust Treatment