C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator with Dual fan question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Deslok
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Radiator with Dual fan question

For those who have replaced the fan and shroud with a dual electric, how did you handle the open area at the bottom of the radiator? With the shroud removed, there is a large open area below the radiator, and it looks to me that it would allow more air to bypass the radiator, or maybe cause a front lift issue.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Des

Old 01-02-2003, 05:23 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Radiator with Dual fan question (Deslok)

I know of what you are referring to, but on my 1980 it has a much lower front spoiler. I only have about 2 1/2 inches of clearance and don't think too much air is going under the radiator instead of through it. You could always use some sin and pop-rivets and close it up, but I just left it alone.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:44 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fan shroud was broken at the top by a fan blade seperation so I cut the lower section off and left it in place for a while. I held it in with sheet metal screws through the radiator support. I removed it while doing other maintenance and did not reinstall it. I did not notice any differance in my engine temp.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:58 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

I have a big opening where the shroud was but it has not been a problem. I am no expert but, with the fan sealed against the radiator, as it is with the dual spals or flexilites like I have, I think it will pull air through the radiator regardless of what is around it. When the car is idling and those fans switch on I can put my hand behind them and feel that the air being pulled through the radiator is HOT when it comes out the back of the fans. I think the shroud is necessary to achieve a similar effect (creating a vacuum) with the engine driven fan which is not sealed against the rad. the way the electrics are.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:59 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

BTW Des- how do those Crager SS's fit- Do you use spacers?
Old 01-02-2003, 07:22 PM
71roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Radiator with Dual fan question (R. Bruno)

I dont think this is an issue at all. When I am on the freeway, my electric fans dont even come on unless I am heading up hill on a hot day. If that large gap somehow impeded airflow through the radiator the fans would always be on.

Chris
Old 01-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Deslok
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I'll proceed and see how it works out.

Bruno, on the Cragars, I have an 1/2" spacer from Cragar for them.

Des
Old 01-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Yellow73BB
Instructor

I put the dual spals on mine, and there really isn't a problem. You do have the front spoiler in place, right? If so, then the air is forced up by that spoiler, and through the radiator. You should try to get the electric fan shroud to touch the radiator all the way around so the fans can't suck air without it coming through the radiator.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:01 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Thanks Des- Cragers look sharp. I have a set of what I think are Appliance wheels that have been on since I got the car. They are nice wheels but a little tame looking and I was thinking about an update. The Torque Thrusts are very nice but so are the old style Crager SS's like yours.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:02 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Thanks Des- Cragers look sharp. I have a set of what I think are Appliance wheels (that also use spacers) that have been on since I got the car. They are nice wheels but a little tame looking and I was thinking about an update. The Torque Thrusts are very nice but so are the old style Crager SS's like yours.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:11 AM
81Gunslinger
Cruising

Reference the wheels most of the new aluminum wheels were not made for the beefy calipers on the older vettes. On my 81, I had to put longer studs and a 1/4 in spacer on the back but the fronts barely clear by 1/8 inch to front calipers. Wheels shown are American racing ar136. We went to get a second set and american said they would not work at all. as you can see they will with the slight modification of studs.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator with Dual fan question

Quick Reply: Radiator with Dual fan question