C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68' Hepp..Wiper door and wipers not working

Old 01-01-2003, 09:32 PM
hairinmotion
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68' Help..Wiper door and wipers not working

I had my car, a 68' in the shop for over a month now, wiper door and wiper don't work. We have changed vaccuums, switch, and motor. Also my battery gets drained in a day. New battery. Any suggestions? Been to two different electrical shops already. Really fustratated.... Help... :nopity

[Modified by hairinmotion, 9:35 PM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: 68' Help..Wiper door and wipers not working (hairinmotion)

You have a short somewhere in your wiring (I'm sure you already know this :D). The bad thing about Vettes is everything must be grounded because of the fiberglass body. Have you changed your vacuum lines for any leaks?

[Modified by Corey 68, 10:42 PM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the same problem when I had my 68. It had something to do with the wiper motor circuit and my local auto electric shop found the problem after a few hours of investigation. I supplied them with the wiring diagrams from the service manual and they tracked it down. It looks like you have a similar problem.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:32 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: 68' Help..Wiper door and wipers not working (Dave68)

I can't offer you much help - only sympathy! :) There is very likely a connection between your wipers not working and your battery drain. I had a battery drain in my 68 which I solved by pulling out my windshield wiper fuse!! :) My wipers have not worked since day one! Or rather, I got them working but they wouldnt stop. My understanding is that the 68 wiper motor has power going to it at all times and the on/off switch grounds the system.

Also, under the dash, next to the black plastic manual override switches for wiper door and headlights, there is a switch that will freeze the wipers. If this switch is turned and left "on" it will both disable the wipers AND drain your battery!! It was designed this way and the 68 owners manual warns you that it will drain your battery!! I doubt you will be lucky enough that this is your problem, but it is worth mentioning. MJ :)
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 68' Help..Wiper door and wipers not working (MNJack)

MJ,
The 68 wiper motor is fed directly from the battery.
The wiper motor needs to be in the park position to break a latch relay inside the wiper motor. If not in park, the wiper tach seleniod is energized that controls the vacuum to the wiper can.
Another problem could be the wiper overide switch is not properly grounded.
This switch completes the wiper motor ground circut when turned to the right.
If the over-ride switch is the one prong type, the switch body or the bracket it is attached to needs to have a good chassis ground to complete the wiper motor circut. These are things I discovered when assembling my wiper system from scratch.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update? I was wondering how this turned out.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:34 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: 68' Help..Wiper door and wipers not working (Maurice)

Any update? I was wondering how this turned out.
Did I mention you should install a battery cutoff switch?? :lol: You really should have one anyway, but that will take care of the battery drain. Don't drive in the rain, and pack some RainX for emergencies and you won't miss the wipers!! :lol: This is how it usually turns out!! I may eventually get around to my wipers but it is not a high priority. MJ

Get notified of new replies

To 68' Hepp..Wiper door and wipers not working

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68' Hepp..Wiper door and wipers not working