C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Flow to the Rocker Arms - How much is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Flow to the Rocker Arms - How much is normal?

I removed the passenger side valve cover today and started the motor trying to chase this valve area noise I've been hearing. One thing I noticed is that there wasn't oil just shooting out everywhere. All the rockers were getting oil, but it seemed to just be slowly pumping out. On my oil gauge I'm getting over 60 PSI when the motor's cold and around 40 PSI when it's warm. I'm watching w/ the valve covers off at around 700-1000 RPM. The oil just seems to puddle in the valley below the rocker nut and then drip down valve stem. Is this ok/normal?
Old 01-01-2003, 08:53 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Oil Flow to the Rocker Arms - How much is normal? (Langadorf)

That's the same as mine, I asked the same question a while back but got no firm answer :D
Old 01-01-2003, 10:23 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

the oil cools the valve springs so oil MUST flow over the springs or they will lose their tension. springs without oil flow will turn red from the heat because i have seen this on a dyno. race cars even use "spray bars" inside the covers to oil the springs. that is the reason for the "dripper" inside the stock chevy cover so the oil get to the rocker pivot point and then runs over the springs because without the drippers the oil will overshot the rockers.:chevy

[Modified by clem zahrobsky, 10:26 PM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:05 PM
lason
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil should only puddle up unless you just give the motor a quick rev and then the oil should shower the fender with oil with a stock oil pump. My last motor I built I used a high pressure/volume pump (never again) and that booger would shower the fender at idle. If you gauge shows enough oil pressure but your still skeptical then go to your local parts store and buy a cheap oil press gauge and just hook it up under the hood to verify your stock gauge is working correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Flow to the Rocker Arms - How much is normal?

Quick Reply: Oil Flow to the Rocker Arms - How much is normal?