C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 "Deep Discount" Rant.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default C5 "Deep Discount" Rant.....

Just on the C5 For Sale board. I don't know about you guys, but I'd certainly feel like one hell of a chump to pay what they were asking this past summer on these cars and now it's like the '03s are already being "heavily" discounted $4K-$7K :eek: Imagine buying a Corvette for MSRP in 2002 ONLY to see 2003's CHEAPER than what you'd paid for a 2002, maybe even a 2001 :eek:

Kinda fun to sit back and watch though :lurk:
Old 01-01-2003, 05:40 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant..... (Paul Borowski)

I have always been a fan of letting someone esle take the depreciation hit for me, but it must be frustrating at the least to them.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:46 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul
Here's an example of what you're saying from one of the biggest if not the biggest vette dealer-Kerbeck

http://www.kerbeck.com/

Old 01-01-2003, 05:55 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

... C5 For Sale board ... I'd certainly feel like one hell of a chump to pay what they were asking this past summer ...
No reason to feel like a chump - some folks pay $$$$ over MSRP to get just what they want / when they want it. Just wait until the C6 comes out, the discounts will go away!

In any case, who, besides Miss Cleo, can predict the future prices of Corvettes?
Old 01-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant..... (mapman)

In any case, who, besides Miss Cleo, can predict the future prices of Corvettes?
Yep. Prices always decline for new vettes in the winter. This year's poor economy drove prices down even more. All types of new cars are being heavily discounted because of how poorly cars sold this year.

NEVER pay MSRP though! :smash:

[Modified by Chris@VetteFinders, 6:31 PM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:49 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant..... (Chris@VetteFinders)

I agree..... but it is predictable. It's not just vettes, and it's not just cars. You start out with people paying above MSRP so they can be the first on their block with the new vette (PT Cruiser, Nissan Z, XBox, plasma TV, video cellphone), next thing you know they are available at MSRP, a few months later they are discounting from MSRP, and then.... predictably.... when the new thing comes out they are deep discounting the old ones and practically giving them away..

Now, who remembers the worst case - pls fill in the details, but before Toyota killed off the Supra, didnt they drop the price from one model year to the next by $10 - $15k??? I remember it was something that must have blown a hole thru the heart of any recent new owners! MJ
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant..... (MNJack)

Yep, $40,000 to $30,000. Owners files a class action lawsuit.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:29 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant..... (MNJack)

Now, who remembers the worst case - pls fill in the details, but before Toyota killed off the Supra, didnt they drop the price from one model year to the next by $10 - $15k??? I remember it was something that must have blown a hole thru the heart of any recent new owners! MJ
Yep. I remember that. I believe it was in '95, they lowered the price on the turbo model to what the guys in '94 paid for the naturally aspirated car. It was right at $15k less.

That would be akin to GM selling an '03 Z06 for $35k.

If you shop for something new, or used, you can just about always get a good deal. Sometimes it means waiting a bit. I paid very close to _invoice_ for my '02 Z06 last January, and its been worth every penny I paid. I got a great deal on a great car, but I know many folks think I'm crazy for spending what I did and prefer to wait and buy one used. That's fine. I said the same thing about the guys who paid MSRP + $5k at local dealers when these cars first hit the showroom floors.

I'll just continue to enjoy the car I have _now_ in my garage. :)

I know guys who bought new '02s literally days before GM offered the 0% financing at the end of Sept. '01. It killed the used car market and these customers felt cheated out of thousands of $$ (assuming they are paying the car off, of course).

It's the nature of the game. A "good deal" is one where the purchaser feels like he/she got a product that was worth what they paid. It doesn't mean you or I have to agree. :)
Old 01-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd feel even worse if the newer car were faster, but essentially, the 02s and 03s are exactly the same as the 01s. That's why it doesn't bother me too much. I bought mine a few months before the 0-financing offer, but I intend to keep it for awhile, so the difference is really minimal in the end.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:33 AM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant..... (Dave68)

Thats what happend to the C4s when the C5's were on the horizon! Maybe the C6 is on the way...

Later
Old 01-02-2003, 12:28 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

I just checked Emunds.com and if your trying to sell a 97, actual trade-in value is less then $16,000. :eek:

So if anyone is really interested in a C5, looks like you could pick a nice one up from an individual for well under $20,000. That's be a lot of car for the money!

We just refinanced to a 15 year loan . . . NO C5 FOR ME! :cry :cry
Old 01-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Disco Stu
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant..... (74-Roadster)

I bought my 2002 in June. For the first time in my life, I now owe more on a car than it's worth. :(

Oh well. I bought a 6 year, 90,000 mile extended warranty and don't have any plans to sell any time soon. I'll only worry about it if I lose my job. But I am adding an extra $100 every month to the payment to try to close the gap.

If anyone wants to help, i accept cash or credit :cheers:
Old 01-02-2003, 03:20 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine buying a Corvette for MSRP in 2002 ONLY to see 2003's CHEAPER than what you'd paid for a 2002, maybe even a 2001 :eek:

Kinda fun to sit back and watch though :lurk:
Shoot. I'd feel bad if I paid MSRP let alone what some people are paying for some cars. :jester Look at the Nutballs that paid 5-7k over MSRP for the PT cruiser, You can buy a brand new 2003 for less than what some people are trying to selltheir 2001 models for.

Same for the new Mini, what kind of numbskull pays $5k more than MSRP for a car that will most likely sell at MSRP the very next year?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 "Deep Discount" Rant.....

Quick Reply: C5 "Deep Discount" Rant.....