C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How in the world did oil get in there?

Old 01-01-2003, 02:34 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How in the world did oil get in there?

I pulled my intake tonight to do a swap to a bigger dual plane. Imagine my surprise when I lifted the old manifold off the car and about 5 or 6 tablespoons of motor oil came out of the center heat crossover passage in the manifold. WTF? :skep:

Here's what I know:

The heads are Dart Pro-1s with the center ports for the heat crossover. The intake gaskets I was using until now were Fel Pro 1205. These gaskets did not come with the crossover port die-cut in them. At the time I put this manifold on the car I was thinking I'd use the stock Q-jet to try and pass smog. I had to cut out the crossover port in the gasket on the passenger's side so the hot air tube would fit down there. I left the other side covered.

There is also some oil in the crossover port in the head on the passenger's side. I can't tell from the gasket that came off that side whether oil was somehow getting sucked in there from the lifter valley because of a bad gasket seal caused by a sloppy job of cutting the port in the gasket or what. I don't know of any way oil could have gotten in there from under the valve covers, but maybe someone here does.

The new intake, BTW, will go on with Fel Pro 1206 gaskets--neither side has a crossover port in the gasket and neither side will when they're installed because I use a Holley now.

Ideas? :confused:
Old 01-01-2003, 01:49 PM
1st time
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How in the world did oil get in there? (The Dude)

as my 1st hand experience iv seen this before we looked at every thing
form cracks to gaskets and it turned out to be a bad valve guid seal.
in high hp motors during deacceleration the motor causes a tremendous vaccume in side and was sucking oil in the cross over. you might pull valve covers and inspect valve springs and seals ART
Old 01-01-2003, 09:16 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How in the world did oil get in there? (1st time)

Hmmm. Thankyaverymuch.

Get notified of new replies

To How in the world did oil get in there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How in the world did oil get in there?