C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Bucket Repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Ric's80_4sp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seat Bucket Repair

My seat bucket (bottom 1/2) has a crack on its side and chipping along the edges . Can this be repaired using standard fiberglass and filler?

Thanks,
Ric
Old 01-01-2003, 02:33 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Seat Bucket Repair (Ric's80_4sp)

Mine is broke right at the power seat controls.. I hope that someone posts an easy repair...So we can fix em.. :cheers:
Old 01-01-2003, 11:08 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Seat Bucket Repair (Desertdawg)

I have 79 seats in the 77 and had a crack occur to where the pivot bolts run to the seated portion at the drivers door side. The back support section hasn't cracked and is in good shape. I used a small L shaped piece of steel and drilled holes to match up to the bolt patterns. I rebolted it in and used some bondo to cover it up. The bondo was a waste of time as it cracked from the movement & weight of getting in & out of the seat. The steel bar works well though & has held up for over a year of constant use.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Ric's80_4sp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Seat Bucket Repair (dogboy)

Thanks for replying. Before I go buy new reproduction buckets, I'm going to try a fix using expoxy and glass mat and an expoxy filler. I'm not sure if I can get dye to stick to the expoxy. Will post with good/bad report. :)
Old 01-01-2003, 08:15 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Seat Bucket Repair (Ric's80_4sp)

This isn't exactly on the same topic, but when My 75's seat belt wouldn't retract, I found a retractor out of a '79 Chevy pick-up truck that was an exact match. Got it for little next to nothing and still works perfectly 3 years later. Chevy was known for using many of the same parts in different makes of vehicles. Maybe you can find the part you need at a junkyard with out paying for the "corvette" name.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Bucket Repair

Quick Reply: Seat Bucket Repair