C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 08:13 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers?

I'm trying to tone down my Edelbrock RPMs. They're great mufflers - high flow, stainless but - a bit loud. I've thought about using 32" long, 4" diam glasspacks between my x crossover and the mufflers. Zwede has tried this with some success. Anyone else tried it? If so, what did you use?
Old 12-31-2002, 10:11 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers? (flynhi)

I think a crossover, or just replacing the mufflers, would be a better choice. A crossover would probably lower the sound levels and also improve low end power a little. Straight thru glass packs are much more restrictive than even stock mufflers. Using them in addition to even the best flowing mufflers will result in something worse than stock. Dynomax and others make mufflers that flow about as well as much louder ones but are only slightly louder than stock.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:40 AM
Shock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers? (flynhi)

I have used the Borla XR1 short glasspak for this. It is about 16" long and does a decent job of absorbing resonance. Makes the car overall quieter and the exhaust note is more mellow. There is very little backpressure in an XR1 so there is no loss of flow.

Beware, that they are not that cheap. Best price I could find is around $100 each.

Mike
Old 01-01-2003, 10:16 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers? (Vetterodder)

Vetterodder,
I was thinking of straight flow thrus with perforated cores - similar to the dual path perforated core inside the Edelbrock RPMS. Several sources I have read indicate that the typical glasspack (cherry bomb, etc) has a louvered core which has high backpressure as you mentioned.
The ones I am considering are perforated core like the Walker Magnum glasspack or the Thrush Glasspack.
I'll check out the Borla mentioned above.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers? (Vetterodder)

Agree w/ Vetterodder. Better muf. rec.! You would be adding unnecessary wt.!

:cool:

PS Some glasspacks flow better reversed.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:48 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I run 2 30" glasspacks with a 2 1/2" perferated core tube. It is not quiet, but definately quieter than open headers. You really have to watch out for the core tube sizes as I've seen 2 1/2" mufflers with a 2 1/4" core tube.

Straight thru glass packs are much more restrictive than even stock mufflers.
Please explain or show where this has been proven.

I don't see how the perferated core type would be much more restrictive than straight pipes. The louvered core type are more restrictive, but if sized and installed properly, I don't think they are more restrictive than a stock muffler.

I'm pretty sure that the Borla and Dynomax race mufflers are stright through glass packs. :bb
Old 01-01-2003, 05:10 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers? (BeaterShark)

:iagree: Plus if you do some homework you will find a lot of the turbo style oval mufflers use perferated cores of some type, the larger area for damping material is what makes them quieter...
Old 01-01-2003, 09:18 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers? (BeaterShark)

Beater,
What brand of glasspacks are you runnin?
Old 01-01-2003, 09:53 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

I think they are from a company called HeartThrob exhaust. I cannot find any info on them so I'm not sure they are still in business. They had both louvered core (quieter) and the perferated core in just about any imaginable size up to 3" core tubes.

I also remember reading from the Ford Cobra guys that some of them are running some from J. C. Whitney. They too offer up to 3" core glasspacks. I think they are the perferated core type, but I'm not certain about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers?

Quick Reply: Anyone Using Glasspacks or Chambered pipes as pre mufflers?