C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Dash Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 06:33 PM
Kim72
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Top Dash Removal

Trying to remove the top dash to get at the light switch. I have everything loose, and speakers removed, but cannot seem to remove the dash past the windshield posts without bending it. I'm a little afraid of doing this for fear of cracking the vinyl. I know this part is expensive!! Anyone done this before?? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:51 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Top Dash Removal (Kim72)

I have but only with the posts removed. Why not remove them? Remove the center piece and the visors and then the posts. A 10 minute job.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:54 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Top Dash Removal (Kim72)

Kim72,
I removed the dash in my '74 by bending it in the middle and that pulled the ends in and out it came. ;) HOWEVER, when I went to put it in, as soon as I bent it, the thing cracked in a couple of places :nopity Because I live in Australia and new '74 dashes are thin on the ground, I left it in. From what I have read in the various Corvette magazines, as well as common knowledge of plastics, then the application of heat will "soften" the plastic and allow it more flexibility before it will crack. As you are in the middle of winter there, you may find it difficult to get it warm enough. All I can suggest is to take it into a small room with a good heater and let it get as warm as possible then quickly rush out to the car and fit it while it's still warm.

Good luck

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 12-31-2002, 09:46 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Top Dash Removal (aussiejohn)

I was able to get to the switch without removing it. I had enough space to bend it up so I could get my hand inside and from the side i could see all of it.

Get notified of new replies

To Top Dash Removal

Quick Reply: Top Dash Removal