C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballast Resistor???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 11:59 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ballast Resistor???

I am in the process of connecting the wiring up in my basket case and I have bought new wiring for the engine compartment from Lectric Linited. There is nothing to indicate that a resistor should be used, yet the old wiring has one.
The coil is a "filko" and it says on it to use an external resistor. The dist is an Accel Dual point setup. The wiring diagram does not show one either. Where would it go in the wiring? between coil and dist? or between coil and hot from starter? Any light on this subject would help a lot (The old wiring is chopped up so I am unsure where the resistor went) :confused: :confused:

[Modified by 427basketcase, 5:00 PM 12/31/2002]
Old 12-31-2002, 12:37 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Ballast Resistor??? (427basketcase)

Ballast Resistors go between the Distributor and the IGNITION switch. The wire from the STARTER goes directly to the coil so that, when you hit start, you get full 12V (i.e. it bybasses or "ignores" the ballast resistor) to the coil.

Also, you should check to be sure that the new harness doesn't have a RESISTOR WIRE already in it for the coil before you go and get a resistor. Many cars have one rather than an external resistor.

[Modified by pws69, 12:40 PM 12/31/2002]

Quick Reply: Ballast Resistor???