C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed: Should I pull the engine??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 10:32 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice needed: Should I pull the engine??

Well, my parts have started arriving. I've got my new cam, lifters and headers. I'm still waiting on the trailing arms and the fuel injection setup.

How much of a pain and/or how much trouble would it save me by pulling the engine to replace the main seal, new cam, headers etc... At the same time cleaning up the engine compartment, sealing firewall etc..

versus

New cam and headers with engine in the car, hope that the main seal isn't leaking too badly (it may not be the main seal that is leaking, but I can't tell with all of the oil coming from everywhere :( )

Basically, am I buying myself a lot of trouble and extra $$ or is it not such a big deal? Thanks :)
Old 12-31-2002, 10:35 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Advice needed: Should I pull the engine?? (phoenix)

I would pull the engine and do a little springcleaning in there..Ands its easier to work with the engine if its outside the car..Thats what i did anyway..
Happy new year :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-31-2002, 10:39 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Cam, headers and front main seal can all be done easily with the engine in the car. You'll just have to ask yourself if you really want to do all that work hunched over the fender. If you think it is your rear main seal that is leaking, again this can be done easily with the engine in the car but you'll spend some time on your back and you have to remove the oil pan to do this. It a matter of opinion and if I was doing all what you are going to do I'd bite the bullet and pull the engine. You can do a better job of engine compartment detailing and cleanup with an empty engine bay.
JMHO
John
Old 12-31-2002, 10:57 AM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Advice needed: Should I pull the engine?? (theandies)

Like Theandies said! Pulling the engine> Well it not all that difficult but you need to rent a hoist, if you don't have one,and transport it to your garage. Thats still not a big deal though. They run about $30/day. If you have an automatic trans you my want to look at torque convertors if you pull the engine. This would be the ideal time to upgrade, if it applies. Also if your not sure where he oil leaks are coming from you can change out all of the suspect leaking gaskets much easier with the engine out. I would pull it in order to clean up the engine compartment as you said. Just make sure you have the time. Otherwise you can do all the work in segments . If it wre me I'd pull it!
Old 12-31-2002, 11:04 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I concur, pull the engine and refresh it.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:17 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Advice needed: Should I pull the engine?? (TedH)

Thanks.... That is what I was thinking, but the only problem is the space. I really don't have any extra room in the garage and I may have to keep the engine outside under an overhang to work on it. I'll have to see if I can position the car in such a way that I can get the engine stand into the garage.

I may be able to borrow some space from some local friends too. :) Of course they don't know yet. ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice needed: Should I pull the engine??

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Should I pull the engine??