C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Ram Crossfire Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:52 AM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default X-Ram Crossfire Manifold

I need some opinions on this from those of you who have it. Expensive, but well worth it for the claimed 50 ponies increase over stock. Just trying to get feedback from as many people as possible before I buy one. I think it would be a good investment, but it never hurts to ask around! :cheers:
Old 12-31-2002, 01:18 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold (Jman)

I was going to purchase this manifold before I decided to replace the engine. I talked to several Corvette specific mechanics that said that it was about the only way to flow more air with the Crossfire setup. There was a great article a few years ago I think in Corvette Fever about ways to increase HP in an 82' or 84'. They did some other tricks like installing a RV cam and getting bigger injectors. If I still have the articles (it was a series) then I'll e-mail a copy.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:30 AM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold (SuprJames)

Great! Thanks James
Old 12-31-2002, 01:49 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

There is lots of discussions about this manifold, and other alternatives to it over at the crossfire forum....Go check it out :cheers:
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:81/
Old 12-31-2002, 02:39 AM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold (Desertdawg)

I read the CFI article on the Xram. I wanted some real world opinions rather than an explanation of the manifold itself ..
Old 12-31-2002, 04:08 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

If you go look into the forums of the CFI web site, there are several members that have the X-Ram on their vettes, and can give you real world impressions of what it does.

Other than that, I don't think there are any CF members here that have tried this manifold. At least not in the C3 section. You could try asking in the C4 section though.

Other than Twinnie (Twin Turbo) replying to this thread, I think that will be your best chance at an opnion.

P.S. If I ever get to work on my motor, I plan on just porting the original intake, then matching the cam and heads to perform with it.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:50 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold (Desertdawg)

Someone just did a comparison, bone stock dyno and then bone stock + X-ram dyno. The article is on the crossfire forum ( http://www.crossfire.homeip.net ) he gained some low end torque and about 25Hp. It may yield more if you do some other mods though. As for the stock ported manifold, hopefully we will have a comparison between stock & ported sometime soon too.

Marck
Old 01-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold (Twin_Turbo)

I like the idea of proted stock intake, great heads, and a cam like the roundy round guys use. ( the sprint car drivers)...And if it needs it, bored out throtle bodies... then I will just be happy with what I get out of it from there....
Old 01-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Magic Fingers
Advanced

I have a customers 84 in my shop at this time undergoing a X-Ram addition. I have serviced this vehicle on several occasions and have thus test driven it. At the time the car was OEM stock. Originally the customer was to X-Ram & header the car when it was brought in. Plans changed, we added the New-Edelbrock Performer RPM 64cc straight plug heads, Crane Compu-Cam, to the program. Headers are Headman, No CAT, & Hooker aerochamber
mufflers. All I have left is to fab the Corvette Central straight pipes to the headers amd mufflers. I believe trying to get a feel of the X-Rams increase is blown clean out of the water, due to all the additional components installed together. I'll get back to let you know how this combo fairs.

[Modified by Magic Fingers, 11:45 AM 1/1/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 09:47 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

i have the stock intake that i ported .[how to learned from cross-fire forum]hard to tell if i gained much from the intake porting because i run the motor mostly under 4500 rpm . at the same time i did the intake i changed cam . i think that is what helped the most . factory cam was weak to begin with and it did have some lobes bad. [did not know lobes where bad untill change over] with the porting and cam change car now runs strong and dependedable.wish i would have changed heads .most questions about cross-fires can be answered at the cross-fire forum from informed and willing to help members.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold (terry82)

I asked the crossfire forum guys about XRam as well. Ken doesn't seem to think it will do much good, but I'm still asking around. I want to talk to someone who has actually been in one vs stock to give me an accurate opinion on performance gain. I will probably just end up going with a 3.43 rear, I'm sure that would help me more than a $400 intake. Those 2.83's gotta go, I'm cruising along at 50-55 around 1,400 rpm. I'm idling at about 40mph. :lol:
Old 01-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Jman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold (Magic Fingers)

Majic-
Let me know how that turns out! I know it's always hard to tell when other mods are on the car, but you can get an idea I'm sure since you've driven the car several times. :cheers:

[Modified by Jman, 10:15 AM 1/2/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To X-Ram Crossfire Manifold

Quick Reply: X-Ram Crossfire Manifold