C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpeting ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 05:45 PM
HEARTBEATUSA
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carpeting ????

What and where did you guys purchase the material to help insulate the interior carpeting? I remember a thread awhile back of someone using foil backed bubble-wrap, you input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-30-2002, 06:29 PM
still-learning
Racer

Default Re: Carpeting ???? (HEARTBEATUSA)

I used Reflectix from Home Depot (also available at Loews). I then used duct tape and aluminum tape to seal it up. So far so good but I have not put my carpet down yet.

I also used POR15 on my floorpans to keep them from rusting.

GOOD LUCK. :cheers:

Tim M.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:44 AM
HEARTBEATUSA
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Carpeting ???? (still-learning)

ttt
Old 12-31-2002, 10:25 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Carpeting ???? (HEARTBEATUSA)

You can buy this stuff from just about any hardware, or lumber yard, or Home depot. Comes in a roll, 4ft X 20 ft. for under $ 25.00.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:37 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Carpeting ???? (1LE)

Just remember to be careful with your speaker wires. Some people have reported having interference in their radio when the speaker wires were below (against the foil) the insulation. I just did mine and used the Home Depot stuff. It is in the water heater area and is foil backed on one side. I installed it with the foil facing the ground and then ran my speaker wires over the insulation, not under. In order to form it to the contours I did it in sections and also cut out slivers to mold the edges. The stuff also comes with foil tape to tape up the seams. I think I may use the left over bit for a tranny cover. Haven't decided and not sure if it will work. Was thinking about taping it up to the underneath of the tranny cover area. I'm thinking it may fall off though.
I had to use 2 rolls of the stuff and I completely did the floor and cockpit area minus the rear compartment area. Here's a pic as I was in the process:

Get notified of new replies

To Carpeting ????

Quick Reply: Carpeting ????