C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 11:10 AM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid?

What type of brake fluid should I use in my 69 manual brake system. I am going to put in my line lock (Hurst Roll Control) ... Is it DOT3? Also what brand is best?

Thanx Chris

:flag
Old 12-30-2002, 11:50 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Brake Fluid? (Clink69)

Clink69,

Here is a link with some brake fluid information.

http://www.rpmnet.com/techart/fluid.shtml

In Richard Newton's book "How to restore & Modify your Corvette 1968-82", page83 he recommends that silicone fluid not be used if the Corvette is going on a racetrack. The problem appears to be that silicon fluid will compress more than glycol based fluids and that causes decreased brake effectiveness as the brakes get hot.

In his book he recommends Ford Heavy Duty brake fluid. I remember seeing a comparison of boiling points of brake fluid from the various suppliers. The Ford brake fluid had a high boiling point and was MUCH less expensive. The archives might have some additional information.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:38 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Brake Fluid? (mapman)

VB&P sells the ford brake fluid in their catalog of chevy/gm suspension and brake parts - go figure, it must be good stuff.

I'm running some Valvoline Dot3/4 synthetic something fluid - supposedly good for our brake systems without the water-attracting capabilities, or something like that.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:07 PM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Brake Fluid? (Clink69)

The only brake fluid I'll use is ATE Super Blue. It's DOT 4 and has one of the highest wet and dry boiling points. OG Racing has it on sale for $6.95 a liter right now (I ordered 4 yesterday).

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid?

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid?