C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use to paint underside of body?

Old 12-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default What to use to paint underside of body?

I pulled my rear end out and now have to degrease and paint the underside of the body. It's a mess down there. After I get all of the gunk off, what should I use to paint? Does Eastwood have a spray-on undercoating or something like that, or should I just use a can of flat black?
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:39 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: What to use to paint underside of body? (Scooter70)

Just clean it up and leave it, it was not painted from the factory, just bare fiberglass. Starting in 73, some areas of the wheel wells got a spray on asphalt coating to cut noise and stop stones from staring the paint.

tom...
Old 12-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: What to use to paint underside of body? (Scooter70)

Just clean it really good, use Varsol or mineral spirits to get all the acumulated tar and grease off. You should end up with a dark gray slick fiberglass. If that doesn't do it for you, then paint it which ever color you think looks best. I had to scrape 1/2" of tar undercoating off the bottom of my car and ended up with a lot of scratches in the fiberglass. I found some dark gray spray bombs of paint at Wal-Mart, I think it was a Wal-Mart store brand of paint and it was called "Antique Bronze" it looks nearly identical to the gray color of the original fiberglass.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:12 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: What to use to paint underside of body? (Smokehouse69)

The underside of the body is natural---unpainted from the factory. The only paint is in the wheelwells. There's also undercoating in the wheelwells. I'd clean the underbody up and then leave it alone. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To What to use to paint underside of body?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to use to paint underside of body?