C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much $ for my 72?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 10:14 AM
markyerger
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default how much $ for my 72?

OK- I need opinions- I am going to sell my Ontario Orange 72, t-top,350, auto, with every option available (even rear window defroster).
In all honesty the body is great looking, what I would consider a 5 footer, the interior (saddle) is , on a scale of 1-10 an 8.
Now the downside, the frame is rusted from the passenger crossmember back to rear wheels, the driver side is better, but not by much.
The suspension needs to be rebuilt, front & back.
Engine runs, but is tired-could use a rebuild.
I bought the car on e-bay (never again) and got burnt.
I paid $11,000, and the guy shipped it to me at his cost from Florida (I live in Delaware)
Do you think $8,000 is a fair asking price?
Please, no :nopity
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:22 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: how much $ for my 72? (markyerger)

I could have bought a 72 a couple of weeks ago with GREAT paint new interior and A poor engine ......4 speed car for $7500(NO RUST)...But I passed..I think that 8k is a Fair price though.....If the market will bear it...Rust personally scares the hell out of me

[Modified by Alwyn678, 10:23 AM 12/30/2002]
Old 12-30-2002, 10:28 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: how much $ for my 72? (Alwyn678)

That is going to be a tough sell with a bad frame and poor motor. The bird cage is probably also rusted on the car. It sounds like a total rebuild is needed on the car as far as the running gear is concerned. Sorry you got ripped off but I don't know if 8K is going to be fair for a car that needs a lot.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:59 AM
Cor6996vette
Racer

Sorry that you got ripped off, but $8,000 is for an OK condition AT, 350 no rust frame .If it was me I buy another frame and restore it the way I wanted, sorry again I and good luck.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Default Re: how much $ for my 72? (myisa69)

>I could have bought a 72 a couple of weeks ago with GREAT paint new interior and A poor engine ......4 speed car for $7500(NO RUST).>

Wow, can you provide a lead? That sounds pretty good.

I bought a '72 about a month ago. low mileage (64k), all mechanicals work great, no rust in the frame, and a solid paint job and 8 out of 10 interior (solid paint, but colors don't match perfectly) for $9k. I'd say 8k for a bad frame/bad motor is pretty steep. Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't pay more than $5k at most for that car. Too bad you got involved with a shady character on eBay. There are good ones and bad ones out there.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:58 AM
markyerger
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Just wish I had enough $ for a frame off resto!!!!!!!!!! :cry
Old 12-30-2002, 07:59 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Your not going to get anywhere near what you paid for it, so I'd keep it, save your money, have the motor rebuilt/modified, and then get a new frame. That's why I've never bought anything off ebay, sorry you got ripped off :bs :(
Old 12-30-2002, 08:17 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

markyerger...

When did you buy that car on E-bay? I remember back in June-July a Monacco Orange vette out of Florida that never could get the reserve and they kept relisting it. The pix looked good, but it appeared to be a used car dealer attempting to pawn it off. Don't feel bad about being ripped on E-bay buying a car. The '74 you see below was bought out of Canada on E-bay and I'm replacing just about everything... motor included. Granted, I am going with a more powerful motor because 195HP is pure dog, but I spent alot of money just getting the old motor running right. Still pisses me off that this guy would put a new frame in while converting this thing to a vert and put all the old stuff back on on it(I.E. - didn't even clean the motor, original leaf springs, dirty engine bay, etc). If you've got the body off of a Vette, why not do it right? Patooey with some of the people who take short cuts. :skep:
Old 12-30-2002, 08:25 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: how much $ for my 72? (Ryan77)

I tend to think the prices quoted for what cars are worth on the Forum are a little low. The car essential needs a frame and motor. Given what I have heard people paid for their cars with good engines and frames, and then spent on new performance engines, yours could be a good starting point.

I know nothing about replacing frames, but someone looking for a project for a frame off resto might just bite at $8000.

Be honest, find the lowest price you will accept, ask $8000 and take anything above your bottom line price. I think you will be surprised.

Option 2 - keep the car, drive it as is, sell when economy is better or do your own frame off at that time.

If you are getting rid of her because you were burned and will buy another later. Keeping her could be the better choice in the long run.

Signed:

"Odd man out on the Forum's car pricing guide"

Get notified of new replies

To how much $ for my 72?

Quick Reply: how much $ for my 72?