C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 10:23 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards

1. I read about the difficulties some people have had while installing fiberglass noses on '73 - '79s. I apologize for bringing up something that most people have probably tried, but I'm curious about this: is it possible to adjust the steel bumper structure to make the installation easier?
2. Are good-quality aftermarket tachs and speedometers available to replace the very expensive stock gauges? What gauge diameter is correct? I am wondering about the 5" Autometer units advertised in the catalogs from Summit and Jegs.
3. Are good quality kits available for building the dashboard padding, or is the only alternative to buy the parts from companies such as Eckler's?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:38 AM
Yellow79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards (DSKRALL)

as far as the gauges go.. use the search command on the left hand side of the screen in blue... you can find a lot of threads about the aftermarket gauges. i beleive the 5" is correct. and welcome to the forum! :cheers:
Old 12-30-2002, 09:16 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards (Yellow79)

I made a list of a bunch of the available aftermarket gauges in a previous thread.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=453833

Hope that it helps.

5" tach and speedo
2 1/16" all other gauges.

:)

GOod luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:55 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards (DSKRALL)

There's not much adjustment on the bumper structure, if you mean by
loosening bolts. There may an adjustment that can be made with a hammer.

Apparently, there are 'glass bumpers out there that will accomodate the
honeycomb absorber, but there may still be a bit of work to get it fitting right.
:smash:

Welcome to the forum !!

PS - where is Essex Junction - sounds familiar - but .. :confused:

:seeya
Old 12-30-2002, 02:39 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards (Daves_rusty_75)

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. DSKRALL
Old 12-30-2002, 07:11 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

I'll "bite" on question 1. No, there isn't much you can do woth the steel to help glass bumpers fit better. I am still wrestling with my front one, and I know not everyone has had as tough of time as me. I wound up clamping the cover to the front end, and building the bumper up with resin and glass mat to slightly exceed the lines of the front end. I will then block the whole front end for a perfect fit. Be prepared for the worst, but maybe you will be more fortunate then me. My car needs to be painted anyway, I don't think most of the aftermarket bumpers are a perfect fit.

Get notified of new replies

To fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards

Quick Reply: fiberglass noses and tails '73-'79, aftermarket gauges, and dashboards