C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 07:56 PM
djlangford
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!!

Finally, after 6 months, my first engine rebuild worked!!! Today, I started the closing act on my rebuild. All thats left now is mixture, idle, timing, and a few other things, but SHE RUNS!!!! :cheers:

I've never rebuilt a motor before, most complex thing I've done engine-wise in the past is a head gasket on a Ford 200 straight six.

There are a few questions (see later topics), but I can't believe it!!!

'74 454 .30 over, RV Cam, MSD Ignition, Hooker Pro Comp and sidemounts

Whoopie!!
David

Old 12-29-2002, 07:56 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!! (djlangford)

:thumbs: :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 07:59 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!! (djlangford)

CONGRATZ!!
I hope to try the same thing in the near future!
I might have to hit ya up for some hints. :smash:
Old 12-29-2002, 08:05 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!! (isosceles)

:cool: congrats! soooo how did you build it? mild or wild? give us some info on the heart of that beast. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 12-29-2002, 08:13 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!! ('79ProwlerOrange)

very cool :thumbs:

:steering: <----You :)
Old 12-29-2002, 08:17 PM
djlangford
Instructor

Default Re: YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!! ('79ProwlerOrange)

Stock, where possible.

Replaced everything that needed replacing with stock equivalent. I basically want something that is cool to jump in and cruise for a while, not something I obsess over (though there's nothing wrong in that), I just want it to run nice, look nice, and be dependable.

Bored .30 over, .30 over flat pistons, new con rods, .10 off the crank and rebalance, new lifters (hydrolic), new push rods, an RV cam (longer duration, more torque, but still a nice idle), rebuilt carb (myself, what a challenge!), valve job, new springs, retainers, etc. New Timing Chain and gearset, new oil pump (man, I've got oil pressure now compared to before ~60psi (is that too high?))

Biggest change I made was the Hooker pro comp, and sidemounts (I love the sound!!, Ricers, eat my bass!)), and the MSD ignition, all the way 'round, 6AL box, MSD Billet Corvette Distributor, Blaster 2 coil, Heli-coil 8mm wires.

Being in the Desert, I also added a high-flow Stewart water pump, and Dual SPAL 11" fans.

Next project is the uper/lower A-Arm bushings. But, I think I've reached the limit of my wife's patience for now, so I'll let a "pro" do it. The desert hasn't been nice to the rubber over the last 29 years.

Anyone have suggestions of a decent Las Vegas shop for that? I was thinking Chevy Shop, thats who did all the machine work on my block, and I was quite happy.

Get notified of new replies

To YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!!

Quick Reply: YAHOO!!! It STARTED!!!!!